My '86 GTI build

walterclark

My '86 GTI build

Post by walterclark »

I wont post it here since it is rather long and exists on my web site already, but here is a link to my chronological rebuild and ongoing work log: http://home.comcast.net/~walterclark1/gti/gti_web_4.htm
The older I get the better I was.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: My '86 GTI build

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Incredible amount of effort and skill going from the roll over at Ascutney to the rebuilt car. There is a lot of detailed information in your project that is great for someone building a like car. Nice work.
Steve

Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

About a month ago I modeled my front suspension geometry after reading some disturbing stories about what happens to the geometry and handling of strut cars with lowered suspensions. What I learned was that with the ride height I use, my front roll center was about an inch above the ground. The prevailing opinion is it should be somewhere around 4" for my car.

Just before we went on our annual 2 week windsurfing vacation (returned this past Saturday) I located an outfit that sells a ball joint lowering kit and a kit that permits an equal lowering of the tie-rod end. I needed to replace the drivers side upright and hub so that it exactly matched the passenger side so I could use a single kit (the upright with larger bearing and ball joint on the drivers side was bent in the Ascutney rollover and I swapped in an old smaller original unit to get the car back on the road). I found a good used one at Force 5 yesterday and installed a new bearing and hub. I installed the ball joint extenders yesterday. Today I completed installing the new tie rod end bushings so I can invert those ends and lower them the same as the ball joint to keep my bump steer under control.

Now I have a 4.4" static roll center and the lower control arm and tie rod are parallel. This should translate to a more predictable handling car with better turn-in characteristics.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

How did you model the geometry? I've seen several software packages that I'm interested in.
rabbithead

Post by rabbithead »

I would assume walter is talking about these?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

KevinGale wrote:How did you model the geometry? I've seen several software packages that I'm interested in.
I used Solidworks, since I have it for other purposes already. Of course I had to build my own "suspension" but with a strut system that is pretty easy and Solidworks lets you define line, points and objects relative to the 3d drawing axis and/or each other so you can simulate movement.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

rabbithead wrote:I would assume walter is talking about these?
Nope, these from PMW:

Plus the bump steer correction kit:
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Where did you get the parts? I have a hard time weeding through the "euro/street tuning" sites and fine VW racing sites where they talk about REAL suspensions instead of "slam it to the ground" where the handling goes out the window. I want to lower my Golf IV, but having a hard time find good information to do it right.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
CANDALMAN

Post by CANDALMAN »

Go to CT and my friend at Addictedracing.com could set your car up very nice :D He has all the right tools and the knowlage to use them. :D
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Not to rain on your buddy's parade ;) - but we're pretty technical hillbillies! :ugeek: And if he has not seen and driven these roads, some of his setup tricks may be the last thing you want :? - A trick Auto-X setup for a front-drive (extra toe-out, more neg.camber) will be a way-scary handful :shock: on a crowned road.
Steve is mostly disgusted with the amount of hyperbole in the catalogs - and I share in that disgust! Many of the long-timers here have evolved to very hard-core sources for their parts, simply because they understand our needs better.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151