My '86 GTI build

walterclark

Re: My '86 GTI build

Post by walterclark »

Mis-spent Tuesday driving around Thompson. Actually had a lot of fun. I went to get used to the new brake system and dial in the rear bias. Still have some speedo issues - drops out above 85. It seems to be related to how I have the VR amp input circuit tuned, though it just might be the sensor itself behaving funny. On the bench the amp does what it should way beyond 120mph. I cant replicate speed above 70 in the shop by turning the wheel with the sensor (I need a drill or such that spins over 1000RPM under a modest load to do that and my fastest one tops out around 850).

Here is my last session...abbreviated due to low fuel.

Oh. I also learned my data log runs for 10 minutes with the file size I chose. Fine for hillclimbs. Maybe I should have increased it for this. You might notice the instruments on the video stop around 10 minutes in.
The older I get the better I was.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

A couple weeks back I cut out the new side brackets for my Cobra race seat...I need a longer bottom on the seat brackets to be able to "adjust" the seat in 1" increments over about a foot. The material is .090" Chro-moly sheet.

I needed them bent 90 degrees with a radius and I went looking for a place that can handle that. I had no luck so I contacted some of the people who race and live around here to see if they knew of someone...no luck there either. I guess everything has moved to Korea or China.

So, I decided to turn my shop press into a bender. I bought some nice thick cold rolled bar and hot rolled angle iron, and a 1/2" diameter cold rolled rod, did a little welding to hold them together and to the press.

Then I inserted each bracket and pumped the die together. Tada!

Last edited by walterclark on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Nice!
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
dsldubn
AntiSpam: No

Post by dsldubn »

One of My favorite parts of the hillclimb group is the ingenuity and fab skills many pocess. Nice work
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Love it!
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Today was measure twice and drill a buttload of holes day.

They all line up! I can now move the seat WAY forward and back in 1" increments. Something like 18" total. I cant really use all that because I run into the rear seat step before I run out of adjustment holes going back, the farthest forward positions have the steering wheel impracticably close to the seat, and the dual anchor points for the lap belts and crotch straps only cover a bit over a foot before their angles become unsafe. Still...

Next week I will powdercoat them.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Finished the brackets. These pics show how far forward and back the seat can be mounted. Forward is at the end of the mounting and back is against the main hoop braces.

I normally have the seat about 2" forward from this "back" location.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Hey Walter, is there any way I could see the floor section under the seat? I'm trying to come up with a way to tie my seat/harness mounts in to the cage, but without cutting out the floor entirely I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I can do that. Thanks!
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Here is a link back to the part where I described the seat mounting: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15&start=460#p12778
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

I THOUGHT you had already mentioned it, but couldn't remember where it was (I didn't look hard enough). That's perfect, thanks so much!