Open Wheel Formula Cars?

jzcolt
AntiSpam: No

Open Wheel Formula Cars?

Post by jzcolt »

Howdy;

Does anyone have or know of a Formula Ford, Super Vee, Formula Atlantic, or similar car in Vt, NH or southern Quebec? I've gotten involved with a group of students at UVm who are designing and building a hybrid powered race car (SAE Formula Hybrid) basically from scratch.

They are a very smart bunch, but with little background in racing or suspension design, and I want to show them some examples of what other designers have done.

They have built one car, are now fabricating generation-2, and are designing generation-3. I am working with the Gen-3 folks. Since students graduate every year, they loose the most experienced people, and knowledge transfer from one design to the next is not always complete. It's easy to look at the Gen-1 car and see the problems, which can then be designed out, but it's not so easy to see the more subtle things that were done right, such as basic suspension geometry and adjust - ability.

So, taking a close look at a reasonable car, measuring suspension geometry and then asking the question of "why did the designer do that?" will give the students a better place to start than a blank piece of (virtual) paper and a textbook.

The closer to Burlington Vt. the better, but any leads will be welcome!

http://www.uvmaero.org/

Thanks;
John Colt
Rabbit Farmer

Re: Open Wheel Formula Cars?

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Any luck with Tony?
Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
jzcolt

Post by jzcolt »

Forgot to call him last evening, will try tonight.

Going to visit Allen B. on Sat. AM with a bunch of UVm. students.
Even if the VW suspension is not what they want to emulate, there is probably some "race craft" to be learned talking to Allen, and discussing everything that has to be done to be competitive.

- JC
RalphC

Post by RalphC »

Hey JC,

I did FSAE at Clarkson for 4 years and was team leader my last year. We gave you a frame a couple years back when you project was starting. I have all the CAD models for every car I was involved with and would be glad to help out in anyway. I've been unemployed (dam layoffs) for the last couple months so have plenty of time if you want any assistance.

Let me - ralphcostantini@gmail.com
casey L

Post by casey L »

If you would like to see the UMass Lowell car we are having a car show on the 28th in Lowell, MA. This will be our unveiling of our 2010 car for FSAE Michigan 2010.

If I can offer any advice - keep things simple and take baby steps every year. Chassis engineering is a great inexpensive book to get you started. You can design your whole suspension around that book easily.

The book "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" by Milliken is great or most else.

Let me know if I can help you. This past year MIT, Brown University and UML attended the Boston International Auto Show, would like to have more teams involved next year.

-Casey LaCourse
2010 UML FSAE President
jzcolt

Post by jzcolt »

Thanks Casey;

The UVm F-hybrid team is pretty consumed right now finishing the second generation car for the early May 2010 competiion at NHIS. Some of the younger students who are leading the effort on the generation three car for competition in 2011 might be interested in seeing your FSAE car, I'll pass the info along.

- JC