Next generation KSCC hill communications

sdwarf36

Re: Next generation KSCC hill communications

Post by sdwarf36 »

There is only one thing heavier-depleted uranium. Back when Angelle Sampy/Savoie was running Pro Stock bike, Star racing had chunks on her bike. I dont think i even want to know where you can come across some of that!
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
walterclark

Now covering more hills...

Post by walterclark »

Those of you who volunteer at checkpoints, Start/Control and Finish of Acutney should be pleased to hear this...

SCCNH (in particular Drew) commissioned me to build a new set of comm gear to repplace the WW2 vintage gear they have been using on their wire. It is just about complete. The design is based on the KSCC comm project and it still uses the SCCNH comm wire backbone.

There are a few small differences between the KSCC and SCCNH sets.

The SCCNH Start and Finish sets are based on the excellent David Clark headphones SCCNH has used at some locations for years. I updated the mics on these to modern David Clark electret microphones and that along with the checkpoint headset mics allowed me to increase the volume of the system a LOT - like the KSCC sets. The checkpoint headsets are the same as KSCC will be using in 2012 - a Panasonic cell phone hands free headset that is a solid step up from the headsets KSCC used in 2011. The control or PTT box is the same as the KSCC unit.

The SCCNH headset control box plugs directly into the wire, unlike the KSCC design - which plugged into the ammo box then that plugged into the wire. The SCCNH amplified speaker boxes will plug into a pigtail built into and near the comm wire end of each 20' long cable from the headset control boxes. The speaker was modified so the control box PTT button mutes the speaker when you press to talk. I guess muting was not needed in the old SCCNH system because the volume levels were SO low.

Hopefully these will prove to be easier to set up and use and more comfortable to wear all day.
Last edited by walterclark on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the better I was.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Excellent news!
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

That will be so nice!
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Major attaboys for all involved! It'll make Ascutney a lot better for everyone.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
kindabratty328

Post by kindabratty328 »

Thanks Walter (and SCCNH) :D

That will be awesome. The equipment at finish at Ascutney is always kind of daunting. Not that anything EVER happens at finish :lol:

We will miss Drew and Dave zooming up the hill to help us set things up!

Michele
Breathe in... breathe out... move on.
DaveEstey
AntiSpam: No

Post by DaveEstey »

Thank you, Walter for your expertise in piecing those badboys together. I know myself and the rest of the guys will be happier with a more simple setup Saturday and Sunday morning.
1987 Mazda RX-7 GXL (Hillclimb)
1987 Mazda RX-7 Sport (Lemons)
2008 Mazda MX-5
2015 Ford F-350
2007 Toyota Prius (the fast car)
http://www.DaveEstey.com