STI Project

STI NICK
AntiSpam: No

STI Project

Post by STI NICK »

Well after a couple years of playing with break out times I figured it was time to add the cage.

Nick
Rabbit Farmer

Re: STI Project

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Roads won't be looking good for you to drive it home on Tuesday with those tires.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Feb. 18 2009

Getting closer to being done.

Here is a pic of where is goes through the fire wall and into the strut tower.

As of today the doors, and fenders are on, and the front doors are cut out for the cage. I am not sure what I am going to do for the rears. Joey has convinced me to think about making a blank cover to go over the rear doors vs. cutting into the door cards. Guess I will have to think about that some more.
Nick
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Feb 28 2009

well that car has been home for a few days. Since it was nice out I thought I would take a couple pics. The stock seats are in it for now. Still have to order the race seats. Probably only going to get one seat for now.

While the roads were good earlier this week I drove the car home. I can definitely tell the car is a lot stiffer. The few corners I got to take a little spiritedly felt good. I dont know if it was the road conditions or not, or the fact that it needs an alignment, but the car felt more tail happy. I guess time will tell. I am going to raise the front suspension up a little, and if I can afford it get it corner weighted.

I just ordered some paint to do the inside of the car. The A pillars, B pillars, and the whole floor is going to get painted a light gray similar to what the roof liner is. I can put in the C pillars, and the rear deck. The carpet is going to go back in, and I am going to make something probably out of aluminum to block off the trunk. Then the center console will go back in. I think I am just going to cut the rear door cards and put those back in just to make things easy. That should pretty much put the car back together. Now I just need some good weather.

I know I still need to clean the dash up.

The 2 bars that cross the B pillar.

Nick
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

April 3 2009

well I just had something sitting at my front door when I got home.

Guess i have something to do this weekend.

here are a couple pics I took while the car was done. I painted the whole floor of the car. I thought it was going to be a light grey, but turned out to be more of a off white. O well. It looks good.

I put most of the interior back in for now.

Nick
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

March 3 2010

So there have been lots of changes throughout the last year.

Managed to do some autoxs, hillclimbs, and squeezed in a track day at NHMS. Laura got to do her first track day in October.
video of Okemo Hillclimb

Philo Hillclimb was a little rough on the car. Saturday morning the last run before lunch it finally happened. I found the limits of my talent :drive2: . On the last turn before finish I went off into the trees. The best I can figure with the GPS data I was going about 2MPH faster than my last run, and a little further to the right (according to the video) which put me inline to hit a bump in the road that was in the middle of the turn. With the lack of travel in the suspension sent the car off the road.

Here is the run before I went off. if you watch the last turn you can see where the car gets thrown to the outside of the turn.

The total damage ended up being a head light, tail light, both bumpers, right fender, right rear quarter panel, and some misc bits and pieces. The car was drivable and I did drive it across the finish line. With the speedy work of the wrecker crew I was still able to due a 15 min run. I drove it on the trailer and decided to call it a weekend since we had a track day the next weekend.

So our plans changed for the track day at NHMS. Laura and I were now going to share the legacy at the track day. So when we got home I started thinking about what I had to do to the legacy to get it ready. While talking with Joey and Charlie over a couple beers they convinced me it was going to take the same amount of time to get the STI ready as it would the legacy. So I managed to source the body parts to fix the STI enough to get it ready for the track day.

So now the car is over to Kales Custom getting the rest of the body work done. It should be pretty close to the condition it was in before. But while its there we might as well add a couple things.

Joey is making a custom grill mount inter cooler, TGV Deletes, custom up pipe, and down pipe. Got rid of the AC to make room for the inter cooler. The best part is going to be the Garret GT3071R turbo. Also swapping out the fuel pump for a walbro 255, and adding Deatchworks 850cc injectors. With a good tune I should be able to keep the bottom end of the motor together. When the bottom end starts to show signs of wear we will rebuild that.
Nick
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

April 26 2010

the grill mount intercooler that Joey built.

Check out those welds. I think he is getting better. No one tell him that. he might start charging more. :lol:

Joey slaving away in the middle of the night to get the car ready for dyno day. He had to pull the rear quarter panel out something like 1.5 inches.

I will take some more pic of the car completed. It is getting the last final adjustments this week. Here is the car on the dyno. The Car made 359 whp and 336tq. it could have made more of both, but seeing how I have 73k miles on the car and none of them are easy miles i want to get the motor through this summer if possible before a refresh. then we can crank up the boost. I am running at 21 psi right now. Joey was able to run I think 28-29psi with a built motor and meth.
Nick
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

these should work nicely this summer.
Nick
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

May 2 2010
some how Joey Managed to get the rear quarter panel pulled out and looking like nothing happened.

The Engine bay. Crap where is the AC?? Guess I will be sweating it out with everyone else. :lol:
Nick
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Looks really good... that reminds me, I need to fix my A/C.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com