NHOR-Landcruisin builds another Subaru

Landcruisin60
AntiSpam: No

NHOR-Landcruisin builds another Subaru

Post by Landcruisin60 »

Last weekend my brother and I headed down to NH where I bought a 96 L shell. No engine, no interior, no exhaust and most importantly no rust.
I borrowed the only trailer I could get my hands on, a 12 foot landscape trailer. We were pushing the weight limit a bit but it actually worked pretty well. Tow rig is an 85 Landcruiser that my brother just finished swapping a 5.3L Vortec into, safe to say it towed like a champ.

For the last week after work I've been working on the not so fun stuff, cleaning it out, chipping off all the sound deadening but I'm hoping to start the cage either this weekend or sometime this week.

I took the trans and all the ac stuff out, along with basically everything under the hood. I also pressure washed all the grease and grime off. I plan to repaint the whole car not to mention a full WRX drivetrain is going in.

Getting there....

Basically done...chipping off sound deadening is a horrible process. I was going to try the dry ice technique but I didnt feel like spending the time to get any.

Took the windshield out today also. Went pretty well, for most of it I used some .030 MIG wire to cut through the adhesive. Then I got creative and welded a razor blade to a bolt to make a "windshield knife" Unfortunantly I missed about 1in of adhesive, went to lift the windshield off and snaaaap....put a nice spider web in it...oh well I guess I'll add that to the list of what I need to buy.

Anyway thought I'd throw together a thread documenting my adventures. The plan is to be ready for Burke...but I dont know how realistic that is. :lol:
sachilles

Re: NHOR-Landcruisin builds another Subaru

Post by sachilles »

The sound deadening sucks!!! Having just done this myself. Some of it comes off easy and tricks you into thinking it'll be an easy job.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I soaked the sound deadening in diesel for about 2 hours and then just scrapped it off. Still took a lot of time.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Landcruisin60

Post by Landcruisin60 »

Yeah for the most part the sound deadening came off easily but there were spots that took extra time. All in all I bet I have 5 hours or more just into chipping the sound deadening out.

Tonight my brother and I started on the cage. We got the main hoop mostly done, there are a few adjustments that need to be made and maybe a slight crown in the top part. But for the most part its good. The hoop obviously isnt in its final location in the pictures, so dont be alarmed that its crooked.
Landcruisin60

Post by Landcruisin60 »

We put a couple more hours in tonight after dinner. Got the main hoop mocked in place and the pass side A-pillar mocked up.

Landcruisin60

Post by Landcruisin60 »

Couple more hours in tonight.

Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Good progress. Have you built a cage before and know what you're doing? (not a crack on you... just wondering if you'll get to the stuff such as base plates or if I should be pointing stuff out). Think you'll have it done this season? Did you line up the running gear and engine (and built it to your spec?). What is the square root of 1681?
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Landcruisin60

Post by Landcruisin60 »

Yeah first time building a cage, not my first experience with tube though. Does it look like I know what I'm doing?...if so good...if not..well :lol: The base plates will be 1/8in mild steel, the tube is 1.75 .095 wall DOM. I picked Joeys brain a bit about the cage design and he shared some input so I think I'm going in the right direction. The plan is to be ready for burke...not sure if that'll happen. I know it could if I dont repaint the car but if I dont paint it now its probably never going to get paint and I'm not sure I want my car to be 5 colors. The drivetrain is coming out of my TS wagon I swapped last fall. 2.0, wrx trans, wrx rear subframe/suspension, wrx interior, intake, exhaust, utec...the usuals. 41.

Donor...
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Quoting a previous post in the rollcages section:

Excellent source for pre-made-gussets, tabs, foot plates
http://www.aa-mfg.com/
Way cool stuff - this stuff, and some brains/imagination, can make your fabrication look very professional, like so: foot plate, clean and ready to weld
Nifty saddle gusset, take you $20K in tools to make one this nice - $3.95 each
or these tiedown/lift tabs
UB machine sells some A-A stuff, makes a bunch of other stuff - check out the threaded steel tubes for suspensions, etc.http://www.ubmachine.com/index.html
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I assume you know about the little secret to welding the tops of the upper sidebars to the main hoop and the windshield bar to the sidebars? I only mention this because I see you have welded in a brace between the lower parts of the main hoop already and now the tunnel will get in the way of dropping the hoop (and the sidebars) thru holes in the floor to make it easy to get to the top of the cage.
The older I get the better I was.