Murphy's Project RS

Terry.Murphy
AntiSpam: No

Murphy's Project RS

Post by Terry.Murphy »

Hello everyone,
I finally found one of my dream project cars, an 01 RS. With the WRX getting up there in miles and still being a DD car, I wanted to get something that I wont be worried about breaking. I also want to retire the WRX from Autocross and have something that will work for whatever style of racing I choose. It has 140k on the drivetrain with a hydrolocked motor. The old owner splashed through a deep puddle and sucked water through his cold air intake. I picked it up super cheap, with two sets of wheels/tires and plenty of suspension bits already installed! Of course it has the normal RS rear quarter rot, but thats it and will be taken care of as it will need wider fenders to fit wide rubber!! We already gutted the interior less the heater core. Motor will be pulled this weekend and webbing cut from hood/trunk and doors. I am debating between an 8 point and 10 point cage, mostly due to the autocross classing changes it poses, if I keep it N/A for now. Any opinions on 8 pt vs 10 pt will be very welcome, or any other input any of you may have. Due to my budget and really wanting this ready for the spring events, I may find a used 2.5 N/A to put back into it while I build a 2.5 Turbo block.
Here is the original picture from the day it was dropped off at our shop:
2010 Subaru Forester DD
1996 Legacy Outback Wagon - Winter Beater
2001 Impreza RS - Project Autox/Hillclimb/Track Car
Mopar 151

Re: Murphy's Project RS

Post by Mopar 151 »

IMHO - :evil: screw the auto-X geeks - put the best cage in the car you can, tied in to a fare-the-well. Seam weld as much as you can. If you have the option, use big (1 3/4) tubing. Read the cage rule here thoroughly - look through the threads. :ugeek: You'll find out about "Flemke" & "Earnhardt" bars, and who some of the good local cage builders are.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Terry.Murphy

Post by Terry.Murphy »

Well, I am autox geek. I am actually the SCCNH Autox chairman. :D I want to get into other types of racing, hillclimbs being first as it's been something I have wanted to do the last few years. I have been reading everything I can so far, and talking to a lot of hillclimb guys that come autox and whoever comes to our business meetings. Thanks for the pointers and I look forward to meeting you on the hill next year!
2010 Subaru Forester DD
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Hi Terry, I just "finished" my 99 RS within the last week. I went with a cage built to rally-america guidelines, as I hope it can do duty as an open light car at some point. Lots of good resources here, as well as on specialstage.com in the fabrication section. Very happy to have you aboard.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

How are you(or some other rules) defining "points"? I have seen some kit cages that suggest by simply adding a halo and A-pillar bars to a 4 point creates an 8 point. I see 2 more tie points (the feet of the A-pillar bars) and I would call that a 6-point, but I do not see 4 added points.
The older I get the better I was.
Terry.Murphy

Post by Terry.Murphy »

Well, it's been a long time since I have updated this thread. The car has gone through a LOT of work and a LOT of changes after that work. I finally made it to my first hillclimb (driving) at Ascutney 2 this year and am now hooked! I came and worked Ascutney 1 as the car wasn't hill ready. I ran the SCCNH Autocross series (both as chairman and a competitor) this year, but am reserving my time next year to as many hillclimbs as I can as can as well as some track events as I have stepped down from the Autocross chairman position to help the club as Vice President next year. I have a build thread located on RS25.com if anyone is interested. The car is going to be seeing some changes over this winter, more cage, less tire/wheel (probably), revalved coilovers with less spring rate, and the turbo setup is being built in the shop in my spare time. I came across an 07 WRX motor and engine harness for short money ($500) that had a cracked ring landing and the coils were great for autocross but certainly too stiff for the hill. I am debating swapping the turbo motor in for next year as I really feel I should get to know the hills more before the car becomes much more fast.
I was happy with my overall results for Ascutney 2 with a best time of 3:12.95 on my last run after getting used to the hill and the car on it. Here are a few pics of the car at Ascutney, and there are some videos out there. It was good to meet who I have this year, and I am surely looking forward to meeting more next year!

ascutney3 by Murphy2012, on Flickr

ascutney by Murphy2012, on Flickr

Other Pictures are available on my Flickr link that have a lot of build pics as well. ENJOY!

Cheers,

Terry
2010 Subaru Forester DD
DennisRacing3

Post by DennisRacing3 »

Just out of curiosity are you planning on getting rid of the wheels? If so are they 5x100? how wide,backspacing? I would be interested in them if all fits and your planning on not using them for next year.
Josh
Racing on the edge isnt dangerous its a game
Terry.Murphy

Post by Terry.Murphy »

DennisRacing3 wrote:Just out of curiosity are you planning on getting rid of the wheels? If so are they 5x100? how wide,backspacing? I would be interested in them if all fits and your planning on not using them for next year.
Josh

Josh, as of right now I will probably hang on to them but I will make sure to let you know if I end up selling them. They are 15"x10" Diamond Race Wheels, 5x100, with 6" or 6.5" backspacing. They can be had new for around $560 shipped from Diamond, if you really need a set. They make custom wheels so you can call them with specs and get the ones you definetly want. They are only 19lbs a piece also, which I feel is pretty good for such a big steel wheel. They are more than this car needs still being N/A, but worked very well for autocrossing, not necessary for hills, though.
2010 Subaru Forester DD
DennisRacing3

Post by DennisRacing3 »

Thanks. I need to check the back spacing on my car. But they might work. Let me know when you figure out what you plan to do with them.
Josh
Racing on the edge isnt dangerous its a game
Terry.Murphy

Murphy's Project RS

Post by Terry.Murphy »

Well it's been a while since the last update, so here's what I have! We decided to get a new set of tires/wheels after running the 275 A6's that I used for autocross last year. I procured a very cheap set of stock 16x7 6 spoke wheels (16 lbs) and a set of 245/45-16 z214, we'll see how they go. We also cut out the spare tire well, relocated the battery to the rear, removed the abs components and added a rear proportioning valve, installed a steering quickener, remade the speed sensor signal generator, replaced te front bumper beam with a custom 1 3/4" Dom beam, and are prepping for paint this weekend! The Turbo block has been put on hold due to funds. We will be piecing things together throughout this year and hopefully can pick up a 6 speed this year as well as we want to make the entire swap at once. Here are a few shots of the progress. Let me know what you think!

2010 Subaru Forester DD