Scrappy-the Subaru

sachilles

Re: Scrappy-the Subaru

Post by sachilles »

Since I'm a datalogging junkie, I have a new project to add to Scrappy. On the GRM forum, somebody pointed out that newegg.com was selling bluetooth obd2 readers for $12 shipped.
I decided to splurge on one being the big spender that I am. I had known about them for a while, and a program called torque. What didn't know was that Torque has evolved quite a bit since I last looked at it. Torque is an app for Android based devices. The full price option is $5. It now does a whole boatload of stuff. It will now log any parameter you can you can access by your cars obd port. It will access custom PID's, if you are able to locate them. It will access your phones internal gps, or communicate with an external gps, and log gps info. It will also log your android devices accelerometers.
So far I've been able to have it work with my 2002 Subaru TS wagon and my 2012 subaru impreza hatch(work). Works really well and is very easy to use.
It allows you to export all the log info into a csv file that programs like racerender can use to overlay on to your video. Anything you log can then be added to your video. It also has the ability to use your android devices camera to take video, while overlaying the info you want. It also has an integrated shift light, as well as real time gauges for any parameter that it can see.
It has audible alarms for parameters you set. For example, it says it's reached operating temperature based on the coolant temp reading.
Other neat things is that it can figure out the gear you are in, provided it knows gear ratios etc. I haven't quite figured out how to do that just yet.

Anyways, my previous app used and external gps, to get a fair amount of info. It works great on open tracks, but the geography of hillclimbing caused some issues. This app should eliminate some of those issues.
The app home page is here, if you care to look at it. http://torque-bhp.com/

So my question to anyone who actually read all of that is this. What would you like to see recorded on a run? I'll have speed, rpm, throttle position, g's, Boost.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
linc44
AntiSpam: No

Post by linc44 »

Heck yes! I've been using the Torque app with a PLX Kiwi obd adapter since Ascutney 1 last year. It'd be great to be able to compare data with a similar device from a faster driver. I've found the "map view" function on the app to be incredibly helpful with run to run improvements and the timer function works well also. The timer only starts when the car begins moving (like launching at the start line) so it's been fairly accurate at estimating my time when I cross finish. The map view mode saves previous runs and shows up green, yellow, and red by section if it was faster or slower than the previous run. The real time coolant temp gauge is handy for my peace of mind too.

I haven't been able to sit down and figure out the datalog export feature, so that will probably be a goal for the coming season. I wasn't aware of the audible alarms or shift light, so thank you for sharing Seth!
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Post Spring Ascutney 2013 update.

Poor Scrappy didn't finish the event, but was able to get on the trailer under his own power.

When putting the turbo motor in and mating to the 99 RS transmission, we opted for a stock RS clutch and pressure plate, as it matched the current flywheel. The Subie 5 speed isn't really known to be the world strongest transmission. Having seen the Mutt go through three boxes, I thought it might make sense to have a weak clutch so as to save the abuse on the transmission. That is what I get for thinking.
The early RS clutch, pressure plate and flywheel are smaller. From the get go it would slip just a little when going into third. Well it lasted a few autocrosses and a couple of hill climbs before it decided it didn't want to continue on with it's life in Scrappy.
In retrospect a stock wrx clutch, pressure plate and flywheel would have been a better choice of the "weaker" choices. So Joey and James at Kales custom will be doing just that. They'll also replace a few seals and the oil pan which has seen far too many Vermont winters. It should be good to go for Burke in a few weekends.

I was very happy with Scrappy's first run despite obvious slippage. He was able to get a 4:08 on my first run on the long course after the Saturday fam. My goal was a 4:07 for the weekend. So I nearly hit that with a slipping clutch on my first try.....so I guess that is a little victory. Would have liked to see if maybe I could get in to the threes......next time. When are we doing the long course again?
So now I get to obsess about it until June 8th. Burke should definitely give it a test.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66