Scrappy-the Subaru

smokey15

Re: Scrappy-the Subaru

Post by smokey15 »

Walter,

I ran Ascutney back in the 70s. If I remember correctly, we only ran the short course. I think we started running the long course at some point in the late 90s or early 2000.

Smokey
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

sdwarf36 wrote:We haven't had a Corvair in-oh-8 years or so. :)
I think we used to have two Corvairs in recent history. Jim Ricker and Steve Short (I think that was his last name)... one was pretty and the other was Jim's. ;)
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
YenkoYS100

Post by YenkoYS100 »

Thanks guys for all the info. ! It's a slow process and the car gets put on hold alot of times. Hopefully the economy will pick up, and gas prices will fall. I'm in Az. so it would be quite the trip.

Here's the other two race results. I'm impressed knowing who some of the names were, and who the became.

http://www.hillclimb.org/general/histor ... y_fall.pdf
Rick
YS100
#27 Oct.'72 Ascutney FTD 3:10.8
Nov.'71 3:11.9 Ascutney
Nov.'70 3:20.4 Ascutney
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Can't help but wonder what the "screaming yellow Zonker" is. :lol:

Picked up the blue wagon last night from Charlie, this car now has Scrappy's motor in it. Drove home just fine.
Also stopped by Joey's shop, where work was well underway. I had a hungry 3 year old with me, that was promised food and a new bike at the next couple of stops, so his patience to allow me to hang out was somewhat diminished. Joey and James had a pop quiz to see if I noticed what was different. While a whole lot of stuff was different, they did some updating to the cage work. I'll try to get some pictures when time allows. Turbo motor was out of the donor car. New upper dash was in scrappy. I'm sure there was a ton more done that I didn't notice due to the obligations of parenthood.

Thanks to Joey, James and Charlie for all their hard work thus far.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

sachilles wrote:Can't help but wonder what the "screaming yellow Zonker" is. :lol:
A) A popcorn snackfood from the 60's. B) Anything painted traffic sign yellow.
The older I get the better I was.
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

The old results sheets are awesome. Any chance these, and any others found, could be added to the website's results page?

I remember hearing about that Callaway guy. Something about Corvettes.
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Mario Fiore's "Screaming Yellow Zonker" Modified, with Gary Colturi up. Mario retired the "Zonker" name and paint after Gary was killed in a highway accident.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

So Joey and James completed the swap over to the turbo motor and did some cage improvements as well moving my seat closer to the transmission tunnel. I picked it up friday evening, and decided to do a shakedown at the sccv autocross the following morning. I really only had time to check the oil level, tire pressures and tie wrap a wire or two out of the way.

In full disclosure, the motor has 166k on it. Joey had made a custom exhaust for it a couple of years ago. It also has a piggy back ecu controller on there to try and take advantage of the exhaust. Otherwise, it is a stock high mileage 2.0 liter turbo subaru motor. James politely suggested that I ought to clean up the K&N air filter cause it's more than a few miles past due. I didn't quite get to it yet.
So early morning the car felt great. Handled awfully, but come to find out there was transmission fluid on the track, so everybody had challenge with handling. By the afternoon, I got a little more comfortable. Much to my surprise Scrappy finished 2nd overall and just 0.059 seconds short of FTD. I guess I should have cleaned that K&N before. :oops: :lol:
Overall I'm very happy. We'll see how it does at the next climb in sp3.
It's a bit of a different beast. It's been very much a momentum car, especially for autocross. If the rear end got a little squirrely, I could always hammer the throttle and point to where I wanted, and I'd eventually get there with little drama. I didn't have enough power to overwhelm the tires. Now, I'm not sure if it was the slick track or not, but I can definitely overwhelm the tires(old toyo ra1 in 225/50 16). So I need to be a little more deliberate with the throttle.
I don't really feel like I exceeded the cars abilities at the last Ascutney, my times were definitely driver limited. However it will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes there and mt philo providing weather cooperates.
I'm hopeful that driving the car with the less powerful motor first, makes me a better driver with more power at my disposal. There is still a lot to learn about these hills. I feel like I know about 10% (or less)of what I need to know about Ascutney.
Sachilles
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Well, Scrappy certainly is different with Turbo. I don't feel like I maxed out his performance at Ascutney this weekend. Heck of a lot faster in the speedy sections. Very happy with it, but it is going to take some learning. I'm not all that comfortable with Ascutney to begin with, so changing it up for that event made for a learning experience.
Previously I believe my high speed was 61 at Ascutney. Never feeling the need to use fourth gear.
This time around I topped out around 79mph. I also used 4th gear once(yet that wasn't the 79 mph run).

I'm finding it much harder to be smooth with the new found power, hopefully that comes with time.
Sachilles
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

More analysis paralysis.
I had to massage the data a little bit as I used a new gps. That gps records data 5 times a second compared to the previous one that did it one time per second. So I basically took every fifth record from the 2012 philo event.
Despite my off course excursion, I'm pretty comfortable at philo. However, one thing I did learn from it was not to push too hard on saturday :lol: . Had I known I'd throw my back out on saturday, I might have tried a little harder. So, long story short, I'm not really comparing apples to apples.
That being said, it certainly looks like I'm still taking it a little easier in the corners, and letting the power make up for it in the straighter sections of the course. I found it a little easier to hold speed in the corners as I new I needed to conserve my momentum.
The non turbo time was around 1:23 and the turbo time was 1:16.11. My previous best at philo was a 1:20.xx pre-cage.
As always, there is still a lot to learn.

Sachilles