Lancer Evolution rebuild for 2009

agrabau

Lancer Evolution rebuild for 2009

Post by agrabau »

Steve, the forums are looking great! I wanted to stop in and start a post about the winter build on my car. Last year my transmission broke two times, once at Okemo and then again at NHMS with COM. I also suffered small failures due to tires that were too wide, burst heater core hoses, broken exhaust hangers (ahem!) and even a punctured oil filter. It wasn't a great season really.

This year I've removed the dead gearbox. The second failure at NHMS really did it in. Virtually every gear in the box was damaged. Luckily the front diff is good and I can save the ring and pinion for future use if need be.

This was the third season on the motor. It had a lot of miles and events on it at various high levels of boost (finishing at around 28lbs) I tore it down and sent the rods and crank to the machine shop for magnifluxing and measurement of the rod big-ends to make sure they were still round and in spec.

I rebuilt the engine once I got the block rehoned with new bearings and rings, new oil pump, ARP head studs and head gasket. This year I'll be using the original Evolution cylinder head instead of the Galant VR4 head. This will be somewhat of an experiment since the ports on the Evo head are shorter than the Galant.

I've also stepped into the prepared class by removing my heater core and HVAC system, removed the carpet and I'm also redoing the fuel system with both an in-tank Walbro 255 which will feed a Bosch Motorsport 044 pump. I've built a new surge tank as well.

ABS has been eliminated (it hasn't worked for years anyway) and now I will have about 20 less pounds of hardware on board after jettisoning the wires, computer, pump and rings from the axles.

Last week I ordered most of the fittings for the revised fuel system but I still need to save money for the Bosch pump, bracket and some other small bits for the plumbing.

on the suspension front I've bought some used Tein Super Racing 2 way adjustable struts (sold last year's Cusco's) this doesn't mean much for hillclimb but the damping rates are much more suited for heavier springs that we run at the track.

Lastly, I will be using a Ralliart dogbox for 2009, provided that I make it out in 2009. It's on the car, on loan until it's paid off. I'll post pictures of all this stuff once I get some good ones.

"how does he have time for all this; I just want to know!"

Alex
agrabau

Re: Lancer Evolution rebuild for 2009

Post by agrabau »

New motor and dogbox back in car. Transmission will come back out because I don't have the new clutch disks yet. They're coming this week. I apparently broke two of the rubber motor mounts that hang the motor and transmission. They will be replaced too.

Where's the icon of money burning up?
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Gotta love progress. Interesting thing about money, you can only spend it once.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

Looking good Alex!
Hope to see you at the shop pretty soon.
Sean
skivittlerjimb

Post by skivittlerjimb »

Can't wait to hear the car bang through the Dogbox gears. I think you should ask RL for some advertising co-op dollars for running his transmission. Might be worth a payment or two. ;)

Better yet, start prepping that GVR4 head you pulled off with some 272 cams and some gauze pads. And I'll need about 10 cases of antifreeze, Prestone... no, better make that Quaker State. I'll be needing some bigger cams and a fatter turbo (and a cage) to stay withing 30 seconds of you on the longer hills.
-Jim B.
'92 GVR4 280/1000
car47

Post by car47 »

I didn't know you got a dog box! Sick.

I wonder if there will ever be two consecutive years where we drive the same configuration up the hill.
btcost

Post by btcost »

Hey Al:

I heard there is gonna be a biodiesel category!

I just might give it a try. I gotta come by and see you guys. it's been too long.

I have to dyno again. bigger injection pump.

and I may need to do some more intercooler work. Peter N. is making a sick lower pipe. . .but it's 2.5 inch

get Dr.Evil in gear already

(maybe the jetta will tow you to the event) :D
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Although you can run on bio-d anytime you want, I'm working on a special event for Okemo II (aug 1-2) to have a seperate class for veggie burners + bio dudes. details to follow when I get pieces more together. I met up with Justin Carver from Greasecar at Speedway Expo + discussed some of the groundwork. So put your fellow sootheads on alert. :P
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
agrabau

Post by agrabau »

Some more updates as we approach race season.

Fuel surge tank is done. It now feeds a Bosch 044 motorsport pump. I also removed the ABS and installed -3 braided lines to shave some weight.

Lowered the driver's seat, moved the battery to the passenger side. Bulkhead fittings everywhere..

Machined some spacers for the newer Evo 7-9 struts so they fit the Evo 1-3 spindles.

And installed them...

drank a lot of beer.

And finished the engine, got it running. I moved the boost controller and the catch can to the other side of the engine bay to shorten the hoses and keep them from the heat.

Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Wow, great progress and sooooo clean. I might vacuum the Rabbit out to make it look presentable. :roll:
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com