Live Data logging (at Mt. Philo)

sachilles

Live Data logging (at Mt. Philo)

Post by sachilles »

So I'm going to be testing out a data logging system at Philo. It's for an android phone.
Currently it will just use the internal gps, but I can add a blue tooth gps later that will give 5 or 10 hz data logging speeds.

What is neat about this setup, providing I get cell reception, it will upload the datalogs near real time to their cloud server. I've just done one quick test from around work, and it seems to work OK.
You can see the results at
http://www.mytrackmaster.com/#UserPlace ... 2VyGMLbIAw
This should update all through Philo weekend.
It should also put summary posts up on facebook and on twitter, if you follow such things.

When all is done I should be able to sync it to video adding the data to the video.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sachilles

Re: Live Data logging (at Mt. Philo)

Post by sachilles »

I currently have the check points listed on the map based on the drawing on hillclimb.org. They are just guestimations. I'm hoping to get the actual ones before the weekend is up.
So in theory it will show split times at every check point on the hill.

If anyone else wants to give it a try, the more data the better. I'll gladly loan it out for a run or two.

If all works well, I'll do the other hills as I get to them.

if you have an android phone, this app is called trackmaster, and you should see it in the app market.
Sachilles
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I'd like to try it for a run. Be interesting to see how slow the car really is.... :roll:
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

OK.

Make sure have a semi clean place near the windshield that we can stick some velcro, or figure another way to mount it. Should be interesting.
Sachilles
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Semi clean? Hmmmm.... I'll have to work on that.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Learned a few things putting the data logger in to use at philo. The gps had a tough time getting a fix at times. I also learned that google earth doesn't always match up with where the actually road is.
Long story short, I didn't get data on every run. I think a 5hz would do a better job, the stock one in the phone still provided some useful info.

I broke the hill down into segments approximately where the check points are. So it gave me those segment times for each section.
My fastest time for the day was 1:23.55.
If use all of my fastest segments, my theoretical best is 1:19.62. It just goes to show you that you improve on one section of the hill only to mess it up on another section.
Still a lot more to be learned, as well as syncing up video. Should give me a better idea of where I'm on and off the throttle, and how consistent I might be with being smooth on the gas.......as in I think I held the throttle down, but maybe I lifted :oops:
Sachilles