Project 505

rabbithead

Re: Project 505

Post by rabbithead »

Dropped the car @ Maaco for paint...
Odd that the pistons were not to spec'd to match the rods, Arias said to mail them back... Just had VT Engine do them, didn't want to wait sending them back to Cali and waiting for them to get sent back...
The scared block that Dushane blew the pistons on was not to spec of the 92mm pistons, if went 92.5 maybe... ;)
Then had one block bored and decked, another decked,and 3 heads planed
Building 2 motors @ the moment...
Cometic O-ring machine for the HD gaskets is down and I won't see the HD gaskets for another 2 weeks.
Taking Specs for ARP and call to order head studs
Polished and matched rods were to an 85' turbo was for a (N9T), which didn't have oil squirters holes in the rods, so not using them, ours is a N9TE (86'-87') Had to order a set of $ Main Bearing (should be gold plated) Had the Rod bearings here in-stock to use up, have Lateral seals and rear main, front crank was blown right out of the bottom end when we tore it down...
Took some interesting pics of the Danielson head and the dani cam was found in another head but is back in the Danielson head and it has some lift, also the Dani head also has double valve springs.
Notice the differance in the combustion chamber Dani VS. Stock
Planed most of the groove for the o-ring hd gsk, line is still there
It's markings are clear
Extra cooling nipple
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Oh man-you figure out you comp ratio with that tiny chamber? Thats a scary big drop in size.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
rabbithead

Post by rabbithead »

Other way around, we're using the head that has been CC'ed
Stock compression is 7.5 and I know that we're lowering the compression with using this head maybe to 7.1 Also planed .01 off the head to get the o-ring mark around the head to a min. May have more of an idea when we do the specs for the studs...
My father found the Danielson head like two weeks ago and we didn't really spec the pistons to go with this head... ;)
The Dani block is MIA (thrown out) and took a special o-ringed headgasket due the Danielson ESSO cars were running 25PSI and had low compression 6.5.1 Cosworth pistons
rabbithead

Post by rabbithead »

Looks like a Moby Dick race car again :D Got VEMS too
dextervw
AntiSpam: No

Post by dextervw »

looking great! can't wait to see it blitz the hills!
walterclark

Project 505

Post by walterclark »

Hey Nick.

I may be able to help you with fueling so you don't run lean. I have seen the Innovate LM-1 that I use for WOT fuel done on the KA-Jet and KE-Jet. I think you use the LU-Jet right?

oops. I completely missed the VEMS statement until Joeys comment. I guess that should let you run a wideband, right? Speaking of speaker wire - the insulation on that stuff doesnt like heat or pressure. The wire inside will actually migrate to the surface if the insulation is squeezed unevenly such as would happen to wires on the outside of a bundle being held with a cable tie, and it will melt completely away under temps of a couple hundred degrees F, where silicone and teflon types its more like 400 F.
Last edited by walterclark on Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The older I get the better I was.
jkale

Post by jkale »

speaker wire? thats a sad sight right there...
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
rabbithead

Post by rabbithead »

Yeah I didn't like the sign of speaker wire either, maybe that's why there's a channel that is burnt... Jason is bench testing it and recertifying it.
Cometic Headgaskets finally showed up. Got two different thinknesses using the .043 on this motor try to get the compression up abit more. and also have .059
Last year when we got the last gasket it was on AFM Victor Reinz material. These say CFM and are not a flimsy rated for 20 PSI
rabbithead

Post by rabbithead »

Dropped the car off @ Kalescustoms, he's making a whole new legal cage that I can run @ Washington....
Was out in the trailor this morning to find a good head with an exhaust mani gasket....
I finally found it!
Going with a 75mm Ford TB
rabbithead

Post by rabbithead »

My screw up from Philo :oops: , I was putting on my harness and cursing down the hill in 3rd gear @ about 30-35MPH and realized I wasn't going to make the turn, hit the brake and went into a skid and smacked a tree dead center..
Putzier says no problem to straighten it, but as we all know what can be done is a different story...But I think pull it and and plate it on the rail might work as it is a racecar....
With the later style bumper my uncle didn't use a rebar so the impact of the tree was pretty dead on and crunched the left rail badly and screw up the floorboard and got the firewall and channel, and blew the diff mounts...
Took the car out of the trailer the other night. Dropped the motor and trans right out in 3 hours with the subframe. Broke the new Alt, Broke the lower, upper timing covers, water outlet
I think the fender might be save-able
Left inner rail
left wheel well
Got the rightside a bit too