project inspiration

sdwarf36

Re: project inspiration

Post by sdwarf36 »

[quote="Rabbit Farmer"]Inexpensive....once... :?
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Challenger392
AntiSpam: No

Post by Challenger392 »

sdwarf36 wrote:That thing would rock! Bet its a killer autocross car too.
I don't know if it would rock per say, with only mild mods to a 80hp engine I'd be supprised if it was pushing much more than 100-105hp. I'd say words like nimble and lively would be more accurate. There is some potential there though, the 1.7 l engine is just a Type 4VW and I've heard tell of builds in the 250 HP range without sacrificing too much reliability. The other good thing is that since its a VW bug engine parts are dirt cheap.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Subie swaps are more common. Lots of power to be had for reasonable money. That being said, in terms of autocross, they are quite competent even with just 75hp.
You don't need a billion horsepower if you aren't pushing a million pounds up the hill.

Whether or not it is satisfying is a mater of personal taste.

I've still worked more events than I've driven. I will say that going up the hill in ANYTHING is more fun than wishing you were going up the hill from the sidelines.
I'm not saying that so you'll rush into a purchase. Just don't want you to wait a million years for the "perfect" car. Very few people hillclimb the same car over their entire career. Sometimes you wreck it, sometimes you fall out of love with it, sometimes you can't afford it, sometimes life gets in the way. It's wonderful and terrifying all at the same time.
I did my first climb around 99 or 2000, car failed miserably. In a span of a year or two I managed a couple of runs in what I thought was the perfect car. Spent a lot of money only to kill the engine unable to rebuild it and sit on the sidelines until 2009. A $750 salvage title subaru got me back in the game, and I couldn't be happier.
Long story short, get something to get you on the hill and learn the hills and have fun. Make sure it isn't a death trap, and try to fight the urge to make the car faster until you know all the hills.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Important to note - Type 1 (bug) engines and type 4 are only distantly related. Type 4 do not have a good reputation for reliability (ask Earl!) Good news is that there are a bunch of good engine swaps for the 914. I'd consider the 911 Porsche, as it was a stock combination, and some clubs get wierd about engine swaps. Earl's 1.8 Golf/914 has been stone reliable.
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

Shhh!!

Don't say "golf" or "vw" around Earl's car. He's very sensitive about driving a "real" Porsche. ;)

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

I thought that silver 914 didnt sound very much like a type 4 VW, assuming Earls 914 was the silver #41 I saw at Asucutney 2 this year.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support

2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Challenger392 wrote:I thought that silver 914 didnt sound very much like a type 4 VW, assuming Earls 914 was the silver #41 I saw at Asucutney 2 this year.
Yep, that's Earl's. It is an 8V watercooled engine.... unsure if 1.8 or 2.0
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

thought it was a cross flow ABA which is 2L
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

sciroccohp wrote:thought it was a cross flow ABA which is 2L
There you go.... crossflow, 8V, 2.0 liter. Runs much better than the old aircooled setup.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

sachilles wrote:Subie swaps are more common. Lots of power to be had for reasonable money. That being said, in terms of autocross, they are quite competent even with just 75hp.
You don't need a billion horsepower if you aren't pushing a million pounds up the hill.

Whether or not it is satisfying is a mater of personal taste.

I've still worked more events than I've driven. I will say that going up the hill in ANYTHING is more fun than wishing you were going up the hill from the sidelines.
I'm not saying that so you'll rush into a purchase. Just don't want you to wait a million years for the "perfect" car. Very few people hillclimb the same car over their entire career. Sometimes you wreck it, sometimes you fall out of love with it, sometimes you can't afford it, sometimes life gets in the way. It's wonderful and terrifying all at the same time.
I did my first climb around 99 or 2000, car failed miserably. In a span of a year or two I managed a couple of runs in what I thought was the perfect car. Spent a lot of money only to kill the engine unable to rebuild it and sit on the sidelines until 2009. A $750 salvage title subaru got me back in the game, and I couldn't be happier.
Long story short, get something to get you on the hill and learn the hills and have fun. Make sure it isn't a death trap, and try to fight the urge to make the car faster until you know all the hills.
Just out of curiosity, what was your "perfect car" :-)
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support

2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K