bought the car...let the obsession begin

kwort
AntiSpam: No

bought the car...let the obsession begin

Post by kwort »

well got the car its a 1973 bmw 2002...reletavely rough. actually all of the key points are there for a strong car but it'll take some help for sure.
I am really looking for some help as to questions like where to mount manual fuel shut off petcock and some other tech questions I try looking on the forum here but I can't seem to sort it all out quite yet. Also if anyone on here races a 2002 and wants to help me please come forward. I know that racing is competitive and some might not want to help a newby but I just want to learn as much as possible and I don't want to screw up and cause costly preventable mistakes.
in the near future i will be grinding the rust out and prepping the car for paint. after that it will be the suspension and brakes followed by motor and drivetrain then race prep with roll cage and safety equipment.
I hope to be racing by next season if I can get a second job....well after i get a first job...of course
thanx for all of the future help. keith
Mopar 151

Re: bought the car...let the obsession begin

Post by Mopar 151 »

Look at doing your cage/structure work as part of your body/paint prep. From what I've seen of 2002's. the rear wheelhouses,springbuckets will be shaky anyway, so tieing the cage braces into the repair is a major Good Thing. And if your'e a sneaky guy like me, you'll weld some stock car spring buckets in there, to make setting up the suspension infinitely easier for less than $100 (welder's beer not included). While you're at it, make the rear suspension crossmember bolt solid into the chassis/cage structure. Cost you $10 and a day's work to do nice, you'll be so glad when you get big power :D
Keep diggin, kid!
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
kwort

Post by kwort »

thanx for the input mr reed, that is exactly what I needed, a little guidence sounds good, the car is in rutland and i live in richmond so getting down there is a task but this weekend we are working on it and i think that i will buy the piping for the cage, so in the future i can put the cage in when the rust is gone and the body is ready for paint. as for the stock car buckets...do you have a link to a website for those? i dont know where to begin to look. our baby is due the 10th of june so obviously the car is second in line right now but we will get rolling on it soon...see you at burke regardless!! take care. keith
p.s. what size pipe do you recomend for the cage? You know I'm a noobie!!
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Well, first thing I reccomend you print out the tech rules, blow em' up to full page size, and study up.
Start a binder or file to keep your info in - get a poindexter to hook you up with "sheet protectors" - that way, you can check on stuff in the shop without trashing it.
This is a good hookup for roll cage kits - http://www.cscracing.com/ckboth.html. I'd reccomend 1 3/4" x .095 DOM tubing - a lot of sanctions require it, and we like it real well. The DOM spec is a little more, but you may be able to help that by using ERW outside the main cage.
Grab up catalogs from Speedway Motors, Stock Car Products, and A&A Manufacturing - they are online, of course, but get the catalogs for reference and daydreaming (that's the important part!).
Hook up with your local RapidRoys (Them Stock Car Boys!) - for some of us, it's Kraze Korlacki, Rusty Ball, Quint Boisvert, Capitol Speed, Behrent's, or Dizzy - I'm sure our Rutland/Burlington guys will chime in with a hookup or 3. John Hart at FastAddiction may also be able to help out.
Read up on Seam Welding and how to prepare and strengthen the car for rollcage installation. Most of this is ultra-low budget, and ugly (specially with rust work), but it will pay off big in the end.
Daydreaming ahead a little bit - look at your paint colors early in the build. You can avoid some crazy :roll: costs by picking a common industrial or heavy equipment color. That way, you can spec Allis-Chalmers Orange or IH Red in premixed paint systems, spray cans (Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply), even powder coats and prepainted aluminium, rivets, even ducttape!
If you pull the glass out of the car, and prep 'n prime as you go, you can paint the rollcage body color when you paint the jambs and inner panels. looks really spiffy, low cash cost...
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

spring bucketImage

Make sure you round up some of theseImage, and spend the time ordering this right Image so that it will really fit

And start figurein' which of these to start withImage
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
kwort

Post by kwort »

wow thats what i call a roll cage.... I have been looking at all the stuff and parts and right now -as in this summer- the cage and body is all i can really do but that cage looks really spendy.. just the pipe alone has got to be ..?? 1200? I couldnt absorb all the info in the link to the sight you posted for me but i think that the kit you show in the last post is 800 sum odd for the one part then 400 sum odd for the attached parts.. but like I said I didnt absorb it fully... and the 3" by 4" piece..?? is that a subframe reinforcement for the seams? don't give up on me though!! I downloaded the rules and classes and have been studying up.. but the thing that I don't get is it seems that there are 3 main classifications.. unprepared, street prepared and prepared. but the prepared class looks like it is for race built cars that are open wheeled or formula or formula vee style... thats not what I am building.. then the unprepared.. not me either as to the car i am starting with is 1/2 restored.. basically shell.. then there is the street prepared which has to have operating lights horn glass wipers mirrors door handles bumpers heater and dash.. thats not where i really am either. so what i am trying to do is find a class and then build to suit.. I have the glass and lights door handles and stuff but I wanted to be more race specific without all that stuff. which would put me into prepared so i guess my question to you is should I take the extra time putting all of the lights and doorhandles etc etc back on and try for the street prepared or am i reading it wrong and i can build the car to be as light and as "race modded" as i want and can race in the prepared?? sorry I have so many questions but I am happy to have the chance to get info from you being such a big part of the racing that you are. thanx again and like i said i am still planning on helping out at burke in june.
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

From the sounds, this is what you want. Basically, gutting the car lets you run slicks, open header some, go nuts on motor. S/P cars might be street driven a little, but all that equipment has to fit + work... Choices....Look at the 530-4 kit in CSC - they make it to measure (look thru their whole site), so you can make it fit the doors whateve way you do 'em.
Buddy, I know from broke - get yourself squared away to work on the hull, get some books on street stocks and rally cars - there is a bunch of stuff you should reinforce, plate, gusset, and reweld before the cage goes in. Get those catalogs comin', don't just moon and get confused! :ugeek: Start scroungin' everything you may be able to get for free, or stupid cheap. Like the brand new aluminium radiator I'll bring to Burke for you....
Do you have a welder yet?
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
kwort

Post by kwort »

we are getting the welder next weekend so today i was gonna grind out rust and collect metal to go into the patches i cut out.... thats what I like about hilclimbs there is a sort of community there.. bt yeah i totally agree with you i can start scroungin' and collectin' now and do all the labor intensive stuff preppn for when we get the welder.. the welder we are looking at is a mig with gas and it comes from a body shop... its 550 and they bought for over 1200 so they say.. we already have a stick welder but for the body work i really want to get the wire feed mig.. its what i have experience with and i can weld mig a lot cleaner than stick..(less slag) as with anyone I am sure. Thanx for the radiator I will need anything that i can get/get to fit... yeah so thats right I want to do as light as possible as fast as possible with slicks and just a shell... naturally aspirated 2 carbs and a 4.44 rear end i located (open) but i was thinking about lincoln locker?!?! or that might screw up my tught turns.. i don't know but still doin a lot of daydreaming. thanks again john talk to you soon
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
kwort

Post by kwort »

Looks like I am gonna be a dad either friday or sat.. no burke for me this year.... good luck and I hope the weather clears up for the weekend!!