Evolution of a young hillclimber.

sachilles

Evolution of a young hillclimber.

Post by sachilles »

Most of you know my son Andrew. He's the little guy waving like a mad man as you come down the hill. While I've tried to teach him the way of the subaru, he continues be a devoted fan of the open wheeled cars, in addition to Butch's trucks. When it comes down to it, I think he really loves the sound of a V8.
He's currently obsessed with hill climbing, and we've spent many an hour lining up his hotwheels and doing complete events with fam runs and the bring down etc. He was lucky enough to receive a hand me down Peg perego electric "John Deere" gator. Batteries were shot. James Phillips, saved the day with a call into his buddies at interstate battery, and now the thing has run pretty well for a season. Andrew has really taken to driving the thing. He's decided that it needs some upgrades to turn it into a race gator.
First up is to add a roll cage, cause every racer needs a cage. Improved wiring will follow, along with an upgrade from 12 volts to 18 volts, with possibly a push to pass functionality.

With out further delay

This is my son Andrew, as we depart for roll cage supplies.

Where does one get roll cage supplies in Waitsfield Vermont? At Kenyon's Variety store of course. They are the official parts supplier of the race gator project as well as being home to SCCV wintercross.

One of our early challenges was getting the raw tube home from the store. We only had my trusty Subaru, and the tube is a solid 10 feet long. After some early head scratching, we rolled down a window and enjoyed the winter air.

Once home, we pulled the gator into our plush heated work shop. Please don't tell Rhonda.

I'm sure you are wondering what the heck we are going to make the cage out of it. Since the gator is plastic, we figured PVC was a wise choice. It's light weight, easy to work with and it's a approved for drinking water. Based on the weight of the gator we chose .75 inch PVC.

Below you can see the junior fabricator in action. Below we are mocking up the main hoop, and getting the harness bar at just the right height.

After the first day of fabrication, Andrew is taking a break and showing off his handy work. We had run out of some important fittings, and Phineas and Ferb were on so we decided to call it a day and relax a little bit.

After a second and third trip to Kenyon's we had the supplies we'd need to continue. Below Andrew is showing me how to use the drill to attach the cage to the front of the chassis.

As you can see most of the main structure is complete. Andrew poses for a glamor shot to give his sponsors some face time. While you can see he has many sponsors, he still has some spots left for associate sponsors. If you'd like to sponsor feel free to contact him directly.

We made good progress on the cage, but it still needs paint. The only place warm enough on property is this fabulous work shop, but we didn't we want to risk a yellow over spray, so we'll have to save it for when it warms up outside. For now we decided to get the harness fitted up.

While far from done, this is the last picture of the project for now. You've been warned, this guy wants to be king of the hill....enjoy your time at the top of the leaderboard, because he's gunnin' for you.

Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
KevinGale

Re: Evolution of a young hillclimber.

Post by KevinGale »

That's the best build thread yet!

I also completely understand about the sound of a V8 and the importance of Phineas and Ferb.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I got to tell you, the thing is a dream to work on....doesn't have a speck of rust on it.
Sachilles
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

LOVE IT!!! You need some X's in the cage-Don likes X's.
You want some more stickers? Give me your addy-I'll send up a pile.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Ryed
AntiSpam: No

Post by Ryed »

With the 18V upgrade, what class willl that monster be in?!
91 VW GTI VR6 Turbo "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F-150 "Tullibee"
2006 BMW 530xi "Grace Jones"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Sherman, in order to do more x's I need .75 y fittings which my local place does not have. Wanted to do a diagnal in the rear hoop, but without the y fitting, i couldnt make it work. I'm sure he'd take a few stickers if you'd be nice enough to send them. I'll send my address in the morning when I can get on a real computer. Thank you.

Erik, I think he'll end up in P1, maybe FL.
Last edited by sachilles on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sachilles
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Hey, that cage is already better than some I have seen. And what a look of determination! Awsome!
The older I get the better I was.
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

Best post ever.
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

The last picture is a poitrait of every one of us, at any age.
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

This is the speed you should be shooting for

Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7