Evolution of a young hillclimber.

sachilles

Re: Evolution of a young hillclimber.

Post by sachilles »

I've worked on the gator more than scrappy this year by a score of 10-1.

We've been to more ovals this year than my last 10 years combined.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Physics can be an unforgiving teacher of young racers. As they become more and more bold as they gain speed, lapses of judgement teach lessons that Newton would be jealous of.

Today's lesson featured the nuances of rounding an off camber downhill corner.

Whoops.

The next lesson is about commitment. Trail braking cause the car to do all kinds of fun stuff.

Sadly, I missed the actual roll, only catching the aftermath. I thought the cage would be mostly cosmetic, and at most keep some brush out of his face should he sideswipe some vegetation.

We see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
The cage held up surprisingly well, but the stresses are starting to get to it a bit.
Sachilles
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Rumor had it that we really didn't want to miss the Okemo 2 hillclimb. We had some plans on Sunday that we were able to work around and make the trip.

We fiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally had the van back, which meant I didn't have to borrow a tow vehicle from one of my generous friends. Thank you to the Dinely's, Erik(Ryed) and Bucky for my previous transportation solutions. With Vango back in service, it means we can tow Scrappy, while "Big Green" the race gator gets to ride inside with Andrew for the journey to the event.
This allows for quality bonding time between driver and his instrument of speed.

After Andrew's roll, we thought it would be a good idea to take Big Green through tech for a thorough inspection. Walter can be seen giving Andrew clear instructions to keep the gator under 100 mph. Apparently .75 pvc is not rated for triple digit speeds. Andrew takes the instructions to heart and we leave tech happy.

With a project like this, lots of folks are getting in on the sponsorship action on the ground floor, and it is much appreciated. Butch King and John Hart provided more sponsor stickers to keep the gator up to snuff.
Photo credit to Steve Jones for my new favorite photo of Scrappy hanging out with Big Green.

Great drivers are usually born with a little natural ability. However, it really takes practice, dedication, and lots of cross training to hone the skill. Sherm and Michele donated a race simulator to help with driver training during down time. It will also help with the fishing tournament we have scheduled for next month. Of course the cars with a lack of fenders were a big hit.

In all we had a great weekend. However, we were floored to have been honored with an appearance on the Okemo II dash plaque. Andrew really enjoyed handing them out to everyone. Here is Julie showing off hers, in a picture taken by Andrew himself.
Thank you to everyone, we had a great time, and Andrew was in heaven with all the open wheelers at the event.
Last edited by sachilles on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachilles
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Always brings a smile to my face. Thanks for the update.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Some sad news for my modified drivin' hillclimber friends.
I think Andrew has a new favorite modified.

It's this one.
Mostly because he was nice enough to give him a ride around the track.

Who knew that a dirt track modified can carry nearly as many people as my van. I think he had 5 passengers.
Sachilles
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I swear he's in there just to the drivers left.
Sachilles
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I'll just leave this right here....

Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
dsldubn
AntiSpam: No

Post by dsldubn »

Sherm, that video is why I just picked up a second free power wheels and a free busted gas scooter...my little girl isn't even 2 and is riding the electric 4 wheeler, so Dad needs a toy to follow her around with ;)
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I did not need to see that.
We are on the prowl for a gas kart for my little speed demon. The limitations of the race gator, are starting to hold him back. :lol:
Jason, I have some random spares if you find you need something.
Sachilles
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Well I finally found our next project. It has 9hp gas motor, a metal roll cage, and might just have a better power to weight ratio than the daewoo. Pictures to come by this weekend. Andrew doesn't know I've made the purchase just yet.
Sachilles