First timer - building a dedicated hillclimb car (Turbo RX7)

sachilles

Re: First timer - building a dedicated hillclimb car (Turbo

Post by sachilles »

If you have a medium head this is a decent deal.
http://forums.sccv.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3974
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
rotarypowered
AntiSpam: No

Post by rotarypowered »

I've made some good progress on the car. For one, I got the heat working. I had to run new heater hoses, then replace the logicon unit (the name for the climate control computer on RX7s). Blows hot air without any signs of a heater core leak... but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

After researching SCCA and NHRA rules on battery relocation, I decided I had to move the battery back to the front of the car. With the front mount intercooler pipes, I couldn't fit a 51 group size anywhere... so I opted for a small race battery instead. I bought a battery tray from a harley davidson that fits a ytx20-BS battery, and bolted it to the inner fender and frame rail in three spots. Hopefully it will be powerful enough for my needs...
I also got brakes for it - slotted rotors and some decent street performance pads.
The interior is mostly stripped and cleaned, lots of unnecessary stuff removed.I've been weighing parts as I go, and Ive taken over 100lbs out so far.

I decided I'm going to register and insure the car in MA so I can take it some local autocrosses before trying a hillclimb. My goal is to make it to a renegade miata club event in July/August, then hopefully to one of the last hillclimbs of the season.

So all that's left is the horn, the fuel pump wiring, the extinguisher and the helmet.

The engine bay is coming along nicely. Everything was so dirty, I've just been going over every crevice with a tooth brush and polish"
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Nice!
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66