First timer - building a dedicated hillclimb car (Turbo RX7)

rotarypowered
AntiSpam: No

First timer - building a dedicated hillclimb car (Turbo RX7)

Post by rotarypowered »

So I’ve had this car for about six months now and I figure it’s time to start documenting my build.
How I got the car:
I found the car on craigslist under “parting out RX7 Turbo”. It had a bunch of vague modifications listed, like “greddy turbo, stage 4 clutch, exhaust, etc.” I asked if the seller was interested in selling it as a whole. The response: “$1000 takes the whole car”. To keep the story concise, I called and found out the car belonged to a towing company somewhere way up in NH. The car originally belonged to a student, some kid that totally took it for granted. He modified it (and did some very shotty work – almost everything is held together by zip ties and duct tape). One night he tried running from the police, and they arrested him and had the car towed.
Well the kid didn’t pick it up in 30 days, so the car then belonged to the towing company. (I don’t know how long it was sitting for, but it seemed to me like years. The last valid registration in the car was from 2011). The tow company owner said it wasn’t running – and here’s where the story got a little confusing. He said it was running when parked, however, the kid came back and took some parts out of it. He said there was some fancy computer in the glove box that the kid wanted, and he let the kid take it. It should run, he said, if I replaced the “computer doohickey”.
So for $1000 (and free delivery), I rationalized that even if I couldn’t get it running, I could always part it out and make my money back. It was 140 miles away, and I couldn’t go look at it. I used a friend’s AAA card and had it towed right to my house, sight unseen.

(The only photo I was given prior to buying the car)

I had mixed feelings when it rolled off the flatbed. It was dirty, needed some body work, and had two flats in the front and a set of NT555 extreme drag radials in the back. After giving it a good cleaning and a thorough once over, I put it up on my lift (I have an old benwil 7,000 twin post) and let it sit for most of the winter while I researched, schemed, and collected parts. I checked the compression and it had good numbers on the front and rear rotors. The car has 216,000 miles (yikes!) so I’m guessing it was rebuilt at some point. A carfax shows the car was south of the rust belt for most of its life, and it shows. Minimal rust for such an old car.

(the vitamin water catch can zip tied to a loose bracket was not a confidence builder)

Oh – and one more side note. The car came with a lot of paperwork from the towing company. I can title and register it if I feel so inclined. It all seems very legit, the numbers match and I am not worried about the car being stolen, as some have suggested to me.
It has a lot of mods – a front mount IC and hard pipes, a greddy BOV, a fairly nice magnaflow 3” exhaust that someone made, polyurethane mounts, stainless braided brake lines, and a lot of weight reduction. No emissions stuff, manual rack+pinion conversion, no heater, no A/C. Oh yeah, and a HUGE turbo. It doesn’t have any markings and I’ve had trouble identifying it. The hot side looks stock, but the compressor side is much bigger than the Hitachi H18 that comes stock on S4 RX7s. I measured the compressor inducer wheel diam. And it’s 2.2” (compared to 1.7” stock). The cold side outlet is 1.75”.
My Build so far:
I learned that the missing ECU was a microtech LT10S, a standalone that retails for $1,000. No wonder the kid took it with him. I got a used LT10S on ebay, picked up some factory coils, and rewired most of the kid’s shotty crimped and zip-tied wires. (the car was wired for direct fire, and I didn’t want to mess with that. So it’s back to factory sequential fire for now).

The first time I turned it over, I noticed a fuel leak at the rail. I saw it had non-stock injectors, so I pulled the rails, replaced them with stock 550s, and eliminated the pulsation dampener. I checked the serial #s and found out he put in 720cc primaries and 1000cc secondaries. I may put them back in when I get it tuned, but I wanted to get it running on stockers.
It took a while to get started – the tune was all wrong and it wasn’t getting enough fuel. I got a special microtech adapter and connected the microtech to a laptop. Fiddled with the maps until I finally got it to sputter. Some more tinkering and it revved, then died out. I ended up adding a 55% increase in fuel across the map before I got it to hold an idle. Took it for a drive around the block. It actually drives pretty nice, except for the rusted brakes that are practically non functioning. I’ll do a total brake job soon.
So most of my work so far has been cleaning up the engine bay, dismantling the interior, fixing the kid’s mistakes, and making sure the car is in good mechanical order.

(engine bay before and after. note the filthy firewall and mess of loose wires everywhere!)

Oh, I also picked up some rims off a 2000 mustang GT. They’re 17x8s (16x7 stock). I’m pretty certain I’m going to run Hankook Ventus RS3s for tires. No suspension mods yet, I might do a front/rear strut tower bar though.

my plans for the car:
I already have a car that goes fast in a straight line. I have a 3000GT VR4 that I’ve been building for 5 or 6 years, with a slew of go fast goodies. It’s comfortable and I can daily it- but I don’t want to use it for a hillclimb car. For one, I would hate myself if I wrecked it. And two, I love the 3s platform - but they’re not exactly corner carvers. Very wide, kinda heavy and prone to understeer. So I got the RX7 to build a dedicated hillclimb car. Something with a cage, street slicks, and shitty paint that I can hammer on and not feel bad about.
I’m going to take it to synaptic 3 tuning in NH and get the kinks worked out on a dyno. The car doesn’t even have an 02 sensor!!! I’ll probably put the big injectors back in and shoot for 300-350whp. I’m not concerned with big numbers; this isn’t a drag car.
rotarypowered

Re: First timer - building a dedicated hillclimb car (Turbo

Post by rotarypowered »

NOW!!! I have some questions for all you NEHA gurus. I read over the rules several times, but there are a few things I’d like to know more about. I know I’m asking a lot, so any help is greatly appreciated.
1. The previous owner rolled the rear quarter panels to fit 245 wide drag radials. I’m planning to run 225 or 235/45r17s, a height and width that I know fits stock RX7s without rubbing or any need for fender rolling. I read all the rules and restrictions, and they say “tread may not be seen from above. Wheel opening shall retain their original contour when viewed from the side.” Well, the tread can’t be seen from above but my wheel openings certainly don’t retain the original contour from the side.

(sigh... some people just shouldn't do body work)

As you can see, the kid did a really shitty job of rolling the fenders, and he cut up/mangled the inside fender. the paint is all cracked and the exposed steel is starting to rust. I want to do something about it, but I don’t want to spend a bunch of time and money on it. After all, it is a my first race car and it doesn't have to be too nice. I'd hate to have to cut and weld new quarter panels. It’d be super time consuming and cost prohibitive. So I’d like some advice. How strict the NEHA is about this rule? What would you do if you were building this car?

2. Next up is the battery. The previous owner set the car up for a battery in the trunk. No tiedowns, just a loose battery sliding around the trunk. I put a spare battery in the trunk for now, but it’s not secured and there is no partition between the driver. I might move it to the engine bay. How would you set up a battery in the trunk to pass both NEHA and NE dragway tech inspection? (I might do some ¼ shakedown passes).

3. Now for helmets. I have a newer HJC snell 2010 M rated helmet that I’ve used for road courses, auto X and drags. I read somewhere that NEHA requires SA rated hemets – but I also recall seeing M rated on one or two of the documents. So how strict are they about SA helemets? Any cheap recommendations?

4. I read all about the fire extinguisher rules. Y’all are picky about your extinguishers =). I’m at a loss for how/where to secure an extinguisher within the driver’s reach using metal. If someone could show me some pictures of other setups that have passed tech that would be a hugeeee help.

5. Another thing! – The rule states “The fuel pumps may only operate when the engine is running, except during the starting process”. Well… the stock pump requires a signal from the air meter to run. And when the previous owner took out the air meter to run a MAP setup, he jumped the pump relay so that the pump comes on whenever the ign source is powered. I was going to splice a fuel pump on/off switch in line, so that the pump comes on only when the switch is on and key is in ign. Will this suffice? How does tech check this rule, and how would you do it? I think the microtech has a pump control feature, but the current setup works and I don’t want to have to get into it unless I have to.

6. I also saw a rule about street prepared cars need to have working heat. The climate control unit is still in the dash, but does nothing. The heater hoses are all disconnected. How strict is tech on this? (I can fix it, I’m just not excited about it).

7. Annnndddd finally – I did the class worksheet and my RX7 is in SP2 2wd right now. BUT If I add a 6pt cage I get bumped down to SP4. I am working on a budget and was planning on doing a cage later– should I get a cage before I hit the hills? Or should I just focus on getting the car running and get some experience first?

Thanks!
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

First of all...Welcome!

So many questions...I probably wont end up answering all your questions but I will take a stab at them in random order.

Helmets - Snell SA or SAH rated are the only Snell rated helmets we allow. No M. Not the least bit flexible with this item.

Extinguisher mounting - Typically competitors will mount one on the floor on the passenger side right in front of the seat, sometimes along the transmission tunnel, sometimes across the front of the seat. Next popular place is on the floor behind the front passenger seat.

Wheel well openings - From what I see of your car in the pics it is acceptable.

Battery - in the back is fine. It must be secured in place and it really should be in a box to protect you against any acid in the event it is split open (of course with batteries that cant leak like AGM, a box would not make a difference there), and the positive terminal must be covered to prevent shorts (anon-conductive box would also do that. Note that a box secured in place with a battery rattling around inside it is not OK - the battery itself must be secured. I dont have a clue regarding drag racing rules. This is just for NEHA.

Fuel pump - make it so it shuts off when the engine stops. We dont want to have to manually stop it and we dont want fuel dumping out from a compromised fuel line or component. If I think a pump is connected otherwise I will ask to see it demonstrated (ignition still on when engine is killed). You can either do it by having the ECU control it as it was supposed to be, or you can wire and install a fuel pump relay that uses a tach input to shut it down. Most of the CIS VW Rabbits and Siroccos used such a relay, but be aware that some of them also shut off the relay over a certain RPM and I doubt you want that.

SP heater - yep. Besides, you may appreciate it on a cold or really damp day. I still have mine in my P car.

Cage - Always a good bet. However if you are comfortable staying under breakout it is optional. I would say do an event first and see how it all plays out. Some drivers are happy running slower than breakout for a while (some forever) and some find it hard to stay above it. Mostly we suggest you stay within your comfort zone at first and not try to be a hero until you get some hill experience. Don and I have dragged more than a few totaled rookie hero cars out of the woods and I can honestly say none of the other competitors were responsible for "egging them on" to that point. We all want you to be safe and have fun...but be SAFE...and have FUN. There will be plenty of time later (when you are working to become an "expert" hillclimber) to again demonstrate that cars are not stronger than trees or rocks.
The older I get the better I was.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Speedway Motors has a SA2010 helmet for 199.99 on the back of their current catalog. From the design I'm pretty sure it is made by RCi but their helmet is $20 more.
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

There are some good new options - evidently NHRA has been tightening up in this area, thus the new vented boxes
Image like this from Jeg's
I would consider placing it behind the passenger seat - lowest C/G, balances driver weight, lower MOI than behind the axle.
As far as the cage goes, I would take full advantage of our cage rule, and tie all 4 corners of suspension, as well as some strategic seam welding. The car will handle better and last longer. A good harness and real seat are some of the cheapest speed you can buy, especially with a car of this speed potential.
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

I run old skool british so limited electric happening (mostly just smoke in the wires anyway). For fuel shut off I have a low oil switch wired with a bypass switch for starting. Oil drops below 8PSI the fuel pump shuts off.
Brian
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

Yeay. Another person that may be warped enough to agree with me about nothing sounding better than a rotary @ 7000 rpm.

Last month I got an SA2005 helmet from http://www.racerpartswholesale.com for $150-ish. They were listed in the close-out section. I think some organizations are phasing out anything older than SA2010 so they were dumping the SA2005s. Don't know if they have any left.

I'm a new driver too and my 1st hill climb was last weekend. Everyone was super supportive and, even though I was the opposite of fast, there wasn't one backhanded comment or sign of impatience. Couldn't have been better.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Just be aware that we (and a lot of other racing bodies) accept "current and one back" Snell's SAxxxx. So we currently accept SA2005 and SA2010. Normally Snell will release new standards for helmets every 5 years - or 2015. Once that is fully in place, with SA2015 helmets available we will no longer accept 2005. Likely as not that will not be before the 2016 season. The point being you may only get to use an SA2005 for 3 years.

And that reminds me. Not that you need to have them right now - We accept SFI belts for 3 years from date of manufacture...SFI themselves says 2 years but most of us believe that is a lot of BS. FIA belts have a 5 year life (they expire the end of the calendar year stamped on the belts FIA label). Some belts like a model from G-Force actually carry both labels - see why some of us think the SFI 2 year is BS? Anyway, when you get around to buying a harness you should consider getting one that carrys the FIA cert label. They often cost more than SFI only (sometimes that is only the added cost to the manufacturer of adding the FIA label) but can be either cheaper in the long run or put you in a better harness for about the same cost/year.
The older I get the better I was.
rotarypowered

Post by rotarypowered »

Thanks for all the responses guys, I can tell this is a good community. That’s a huge help walter, especially the part about the wheel wells and fuel pump. I have a tach signal from the microtech running very close to the fuel pump relay, so I’ll see if I can set up the relay to only operate with a tach input. I was worried about the arches. I’ll probably just touch them up until I have time to really fix them.
As for the battery, I’m going to see if I can fit a 51 size in the engine bay. New England Dragway requires an exterior battery disconnect for trunk mounted batteries, and it’d be so much simpler to have it under the hood where it belongs. If I can’t fit it or mount it there, I appreciate the advice on the trunk setup.
Mopar, I especially took this to heart: “A good harness and real seat are some of the cheapest speed you can buy, especially with a car of this speed potential.” Very true, and I’m going to keep an eye out for some used racing seats on CL. The stockers aren’t bad but they lack the serious side support I may need.
Looks like I’ll also be setting up some heat!

I'm going to save the helmet for last - (brakes and tires are a bit more important right now ;)) just wanted to be 100% sure i needed an SA. I've seen some open face SA2010s going for $150-$200.
And yes, I love those high revving rotaries!
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

FWIW, I saw an auto-x RX-7 with what looked to be a motorcycle battery under the hood. :geek: IIRC, rotaries crank pretty easy.