HANS vs Necksgen, vs Simpson, etc, for Head Restraint

skimobile

HANS vs Necksgen, vs Simpson, etc, for Head Restraint

Post by skimobile »

I have not had the opportunity to try several different models of head and neck restraints, so I'm looking for a little insight before purchase from the hillclimb folks.
I'm aware of what "opinions' are like but...
For those who have worn several types of these devices for hillclimbs, track days, etc.
What is the most comfortable for a weekend racer/newby to purchase?
My intent is to use this for road course events and for 2-3 hillclimb events on 2014.
I'd like not to waste $700 on an item wthat would be too restrictive/cumbersome for hillclimb events.
HMS only has HANS. I've also seen Necksgen Rev and Simpson Hybrid products online but havent heard if they're as good, better or worse (fit, ease of use, restrictive, cumbersome, etc).
Any insight would be greatly appreciated as income tax rebate is due in soon, and I would like to spend it wisely.
Thanks!
sachilles

Re: HANS vs Necksgen, vs Simpson, etc, for Head Restraint

Post by sachilles »

Opinion:
I've used both an older Hans, and currently use a hybrid pro.
I prefer the hybrid. However, pony up for the better helmet connectors from the start.
I've heard good reviews of the nexgen, but haven't tried one yet.

No matter what you choose, it will take longer to get buckled up for a run. It's worth it for the safety, but takes a little to get used to.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

The Hybrid + Necksgen have straps preventing side movement-the Hans does not. SInce you can't "call your shot" in a crash, i'd want to be covered in more than just a heads on crash.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

So, the Necksgen Rev provides frontal impact protection (like the HANS), as well as side impact (which HANS doesn't provide), and does not seem to be as restrictive in the rear sholder/back area?
It also appears to be less expensive.
IF the Necksgen Rev is accepted for events where a head and neck restraint is required, it seems like a good choice.

UPDATE: Thanks for the insight. I made my decision and ordered a device direct from the Necksgen site.
$599 including all required hardware, free shipping and a SWAG pack, if anyone is interested.
http://www.necksgen.com/necksgenproducts.html

Thanks again for the input,