Modifying a roll hoop

shelbyeast
AntiSpam: No

Re: Modifying a roll hoop

Post by shelbyeast »

I don't know of any sanctioning body that allows a two piece main hoop. But I don't know all the rules of course I do know it is not legal in S.C.C.A , Rally America, Pikes Peak, Mt Washington, And our rules say continuous main hoop. Don Taylor
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

I'd like to remind some folks that I do what I do for the enthusiasts out there who have genuine questions and concerns about the sport. I am merely trying to set the record straight and avoid misunderstandings, to wit:
And our rules say continuous main hoop.
Now, I have an issue with this statement, which I had equivocated in this very thread :
If you ever wish to compete with another sanction, though, be aware - as Walter said, this is a very common rule, and the continuous hoop rule is OLD, in sports car circles. Which means that some have internailzed this principle so thoroughly, that it may be applied without an actual requirement - or cause me to be called a liar,(which I SO love) in front of an entire Series
Gotta remember, I'm the child of a precision inspector and a hospital tech - it's not what you know, it's what you can show is fact that counts. So, I look it up, on this very website. The only reference I found was at the end of _._.Ea RECCOMENDATIONS, "1. _____, and continuous main hoop(s)".
I would tend to think that this is a reccomendation, and not a requirement, based on how this is parsed. On the other hand, given this comment
But I don't know all the rules of course I do know it is not legal in S.C.C.A , Rally America, Pikes Peak, Mt Washington
, prefacing the earlier statement, and I'm given to wonder what goes on here.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Paul,

Are you going with a new main hoop?
The older I get the better I was.
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

walterclark wrote:Are you going with a new main hoop?
No, I cut the hoop and had a professional welder reconnect it. My cage isn't complete enough to meet NEHA cage rules (and I don't have a fire suit) so I'm still an X-car. I'm hoping you and Don will decide the modifications are acceptable for an X-car that doesn't have a steel roof. As you'll see the weld at in the main hoop is very heavy and, if I have time, I'll add a sleeve over it.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Is the cut/weld close to where it is supported by a stay or mid span?
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

it needs some sort of internal or external sleeve, or possibly gusseting with an intersecting member, to meet the 2X weld circumfrence rule. Said rule having been designed to require that. A half sleeve (splint) or split sleeve will be fine. "Splinting" with angle Iron would be srrong enough, and meet the rule, kinda - but it's never good to make the tech inspector gag. 8-)
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

The weld bead is at least 2X the tubing thickness and is near the intersection with the driver-side back-stay.
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Chief Geek wrote:The weld bead is at least 2X the tubing thickness and is near the intersection with the driver-side back-stay.
You said thickness but the rule says circumference?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

You should probably talk to Don. Where you located it is better than in the middle, given your bracing. I think he may want you to add a gusset between the hoop and a rear brace that extends beyond the weld in the main hoop.