Clarification ????? on FIA seat acceptance

Mopar 151w2
AntiSpam: No

Clarification ????? on FIA seat acceptance

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

I've seen it mentioned lately that an FIA seat was only certified as such when used with an approved mount, and not with stock seat rails.. I don't know how universal this problem is, but a lot of folks here use this style seat because they can bolt it to the stock rails.

Also - will folks with date-expired (FIA) seats be required to back-brace them, use them as-is, or????? Just anticipating some questions which are likely to come up.
walterclark

Re: Clarification ????? on FIA seat acceptance

Post by walterclark »

The approved mounts (or a reasonable facsimile, since "approved" mounts are not actually labeled) are needed because FIA seats are mounted from the sides with standard embedded nuts in standard locations. The 2 mounts are nothing but a pair of fancy L brackets that leaves the installer with 4 or more holes or slots in a horizontal plane below the seat to mount the seat to the floor, a plate, bars, or indeed an OEM seat slider, if that is possible (it is in some cases).

While FIA seats are dated, in the US I have not seen much in the way of an effort to enforce what the FIA says is a 5 year life (with a provision for a 2 year extension provided the seat is re-certified by the factory). Technically, once it reaches 5 years it isnt FIA approved any longer so could come under the seatback brace requirement. However with the exception of RaceTech, none of the Euro manufacturers of composite FIA seats support the addition of a back brace. Again with the exception of RaceTech, they werent designed with this in mind and there is no telling if they would be safer or more dangerous (I am inclined to think the latter). I know in several instances ("club racing" classes) the SCCA toyed with the notion of requiring >5 year old FIA seats either be replaced or a back brace added but after discussion they just dropped the whole thing. No one is prepared to assume the legal responsibility for something bad happening because someone added a home brewed back brace to a seat not designed for one and injuries resulted.
The older I get the better I was.
Mopar 151w2
AntiSpam: No

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

OK, so we'll go back to wondering about the structural strength of iron oxide/rubberized asphalt/burlap/high fructose corn suryp composite floor panels. 8-)
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Mopar 151w2 wrote:OK, so we'll go back to wondering about the structural strength of iron oxide/rubberized asphalt/burlap/high fructose corn suryp composite floor panels. 8-)
I had a GTI with those. Before I removed the seat and carpet I kept wondering why the seat was so wobbly. Lucky for me it was free.
The older I get the better I was.