Racing Suit

Ryed
AntiSpam: No

Racing Suit

Post by Ryed »

I've looked at the Technical Safety Requirements, as well as through this sub-forum, trying to figure out what the rule is on Racing Suits. I currently have an SFI/FIA rated multi-layer suit. While it is more than adequate, I would prefer to have a slightly less-insulated 2-piece suit...

The Technical Safety Requirements say:

"BB. Clothing
1. Fire-retardant outer clothing or underwear.
2. Fire-retardant gloves.
3. Fire-retardant hood or helmet skirt in open-engine cars. Recommended
for all."

I can't find wording anywhere that states the level of Fire-Retardant required. I have been told that if I were to buy a single layer suit, that I would need fire retardant underwear; but cannot find that language anywhere in the Technical Regulations. Am I missing it somewhere?

Bottom line is I don't want to skimp on any safety items, and want to be sure I'm in compliance with the Regulations. That being said, it appears that a single layer SFI 3.2A/1 suit would meet the current Regulations.

If the intention is to have a certain level of protection that's not specified in the Regulations, I'd propose we draft a rule change next winter to specify an acceptable SFI rating.

If not, am I OK with a SFI 3.2A/1 rated suit?

Thanks for any help. - Erik
91 VW GTI VR6 Turbo "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F-150 "Tullibee"
2006 BMW 530xi "Grace Jones"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
RacingFrog

Re: Racing Suit

Post by RacingFrog »

Ryed wrote:If not, am I OK with a SFI 3.2A/1 rated suit?
Regardless of the rules (you are right they don't seem to specify any SFI rating), an SFI 3.2A/1 only gives you 3 seconds before a 2nd degree burn. That's not enough time to get out of the car.
An SFI 3.2A/5 is rated for 10 seconds which is still not much but way better. I think that there is no magic, if you want protection the suit is going to be thick and warm. If you want to stay cool in your suit, most racers use a coolshirt system. On the cheaper side, you can also use an aquavest to keep you cool under the suit.

Another solution to be cool, is to put a Frog Racing sticker on your car! :D
--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

An SFI 3.2A/1 suit meets our minimum requirements and fire retardant underwear is then not required (but as RacingFrog points out, it is recommended for the extended protection). I wear a 1 rated suit and add SFI underwear when it is cool enough to do so comfortably.

We deliberately avoided stating that we require SFI or FIA approved/labeled garmets as there are other solutions.
The older I get the better I was.
Ryed

Post by Ryed »

Thanks Walter & Frog, I understand the risks associated with a 1-layer suit, and will likely get SFI underwear as well. I'll also keep my multi-layer suit so that I have multiple options.
91 VW GTI VR6 Turbo "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F-150 "Tullibee"
2006 BMW 530xi "Grace Jones"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown