Rollcage padding

RacingFrog
AntiSpam: No

Rollcage padding

Post by RacingFrog »

I was reading the current rules that state "Any rollcage member reachable by the driver’s head must incorporate high-density shock-absorbing material in padding."
When I came to my 1st hillclimb, I didn't have SFI rated padding and it was not deemed of suitable density. I was lucky that some fellow hillclimbers had some spare padding to sell me to allow me to fix this on the spot.

I was wondering if we should clarify the rule and state 'FIA 8857-2001 Type A or SFI 45.1 rated padding' which seems to be the only 2 ratings I found for padding.
Is there any padding that is not SFI/FIA rated that would be of the appropriate density?
--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
walterclark

Re: Rollcage padding

Post by walterclark »

I think there is a reason. For one, Longacre makes a high density padding (part #65162) that is not SFI certified but appears to be identical to the SFI 45.1 product they also sell, except for the embossed SFI label and price.
The older I get the better I was.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

walterclark wrote:I think there is a reason. For one, Longacre makes a high density padding (part #65162) that is not SFI certified but appears to be identical to the SFI 45.1 product they also sell, except for the embossed SFI label and price.
Not surprisingly the version they list as "SFI™ Embossed Roll Bar Padding" is much more expensive that the version without the SFI Embossing. I guess applying that label is an expensive processes. :lol:
RacingFrog

Post by RacingFrog »

KevinGale wrote:Not surprisingly the version they list as "SFI™ Embossed Roll Bar Padding" is much more expensive that the version without the SFI Embossing. I guess applying that label is an expensive processes. :lol:
I don't know how much the certification process costs, but it is probably not cheap. There might also be royalties to use the SFI logo and labels that probably adds to the cost.
The SFI website doesn't reveal much besides contact us for more info!

Good to know for the Longacre 65162, seems to be a good lower cost alternative!
--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

And...the non-certifed version comes in 3 colors!

I know for a fact that the SFI collects a fee on every tag/label/logo used. I am not sure how much it is per... I am pretty sure there is no actual SFI test facility and it is each SFI member/manufacturers responsibility and cost to do the testing per the standard and submit or document the results. So there are bound to be added costs.

I know a few years ago G-Force made a series of Nomex gloves with the stitching reversed (outside) from normal (inside) that were otherwise identical to the normal gloves. They were not SFI approved and were priced at about $10 less than the "normal" stitched glove that was SFI approved. I think SFI had a problem with the exposed seam design.
The older I get the better I was.
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

If you look at the rollcage rule update proposal, you'll see that I've proposed to clarify this rule somewhat, so that headrests do not need to be padded with the high impact foam (none of them were anyway), and to allow other padding in addition to the high impact - there is a double layer padding now, I'm told, and street car guys should have the option to finish trimming out their padding with leather or viniyl. (Material to match almost any OE seating is available in the classic car aftermarket. I've seen a Ferarri with a leather jacket on the fire extinguisher - snazzy!)