Sources for cage steel?

1450Racing
AntiSpam: No

Re: Sources for cage steel?

Post by 1450Racing »

Seralan wrote:I purchased my DOM from Marmon Keystone.
1 clark St. Southhampton MA. 01073

They delivered via truck freight to Nashua NH no problem
+1 for these guys. My friend buys it in bulk from them for rollcages. Really nice DOM stuff.
Shiny finish, not grey or brown colored.
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

Seralan wrote:I purchased my DOM from Marmon Keystone.
1 clark St. Southhampton MA. 01073

They delivered via truck freight to Nashua NH no problem
Me too. It's a large company, but they billed my credit card and delivered to the shop at my work for free (near one of their weekly milk runs, I think).

Turns out, you can't fit 20' lengths in a Mazda2. Even with the seats down, I was afraid the little red flag on the tail-end of the bundle would steer the car like a rudder.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

I ended up placing an order through stockcarsteel, and while they were quick to get it out, the longest I could get was 8'. My measurements suggest that it'll be just long enough for the main hoop, but I only got rough calculations as to how much material the bends themselves will use, and how much springback to expect. If that doesn't work, I'll see if I can get it delivered to my friend's shop in Woburn, where we're doing the bulk of the fabrication work.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

You owe me a drink. ;)

http://benditonline.com/
Its a simple program-but its just simple math. Its gonna save you alot of waste. Hint: start with your longest piece first and work your way down to the shortest. That way if there is a screw up, you may be able to get use out of the pipe on another piece. :?
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

sdwarf36 wrote:You owe me a drink. ;)

http://benditonline.com/
Its a simple program-but its just simple math. Its gonna save you alot of waste. Hint: start with your longest piece first and work your way down to the shortest. That way if there is a screw up, you may be able to get use out of the pipe on another piece. :?
Pick your poison, that's worth a classy beverage.
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Another +1 for Marmon Keystone. Just got a quote back from them... a little over half the price of the local place I've been going to.
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
jkale

Post by jkale »

Well, after all of this talk, I requested a Test Report spec sheet from both of my suppliers and so far have received one:

85,500 tensile
74,700 yield
17% Elongation
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
jkale

Post by jkale »

The Test result sheet also specifies that it is "COLD DRAWN ELECTRIC RESISTANCE WELDED"

This IS Cold Drawn Steel. Even though the supplier calls it DOM.
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Went through Marmon/Keystone for the second 'leg' of the journey, and was pleased to find that I could order 20' lengths, where stockcarsteel only offered 8' lengths (the main hoop would be VERY difficult on a car without a solid behind-the-rocker shelf). Shipping was very reasonable (especially considering getting such long lengths), and if this weren't a holiday weekend, it would all have been delivered on Friday (just two days away).
jkale

Post by jkale »

drummingpariah wrote:Went through Marmon/Keystone for the second 'leg' of the journey, and was pleased to find that I could order 20' lengths, where stockcarsteel only offered 8' lengths (the main hoop would be VERY difficult on a car without a solid behind-the-rocker shelf). Shipping was very reasonable (especially considering getting such long lengths), and if this weren't a holiday weekend, it would all have been delivered on Friday (just two days away).
I'm curious, what did you pay per foot?

Marmon/keystone is where my supplier purchases their material from. They buy much more than 3 or 4 cages worth like I usually buy, and sell it to me for a decent price.. I am wondering if I should go directly thru them..
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790