Sunroof

sham240z
AntiSpam: No

Sunroof

Post by sham240z »

morning all -

Quick question about sunroofs. I have a 1970 240z with factory sunroof. I'm looking to run in SP2 (according to the class calcs) in Ascutney in a few weeks. I do have have roll bar. It's an Autopower 1.75" DOM bolt-in style.

Is this good enough to run under the breakout? It'll be my first time up at the hillclimb. I would like to test the waters before installing the full cage. Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to Sept.
3rdgendennis

Re: Sunroof

Post by 3rdgendennis »

I'm sure Walter (tech guy) will chime in, but I do believe others have run with factory sunroofs, as long as they are closed
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Factory sunroof? s30 chassis? That isn't even a thing. I imagine you'll be fine though, but I'll let Walter give more firm advice. If it doesn't look good, you may need to wear arm restraints, so your arms don't flop around on the ground if you go upside-down.

As long as your belts are good, you have a horn (air horn recommended in case of electrical failure), and you have an ABC extinguisher with a metal bracket, you'll be fine to run above breakout (3:20 or slower). 3:20 is a pretty quick time, and without knowing the hill already it's unlikely that you'll get going that fast. I believe the fastest rookie at the last event was Jason Tolisano, with a 3:21 in a relatively seriously built turbocharged CRX.

For reference: http://hillclimb.org/events/results_asc ... sunday.pdf

Breakout times aren't really something you'll need to worry about, unless you have a fair amount of previous racing experience and a well set-up car with plenty of power. Plan to come out and have a great weekend of camping ... with some spirited drives up a pretty mountain.
sham240z

Post by sham240z »

Sunroof maybe the wrong choice of words - "glass that opens slightly" is a better description.

Thanks for the safety tips. The car is sorted in that vein - the tech sheet is very comprehensive and easy to follow. I'm not concerned about time at all - in it for the fun and great weekend.
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

sham240z wrote: I'm not concerned about time at all - in it for the fun and great weekend.
With that attitude, you'll do great!
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

You can run, subject to the breakout rule. A roll bar is fine but does not equal a cage. The glass sunroof will need to be taped. An X of duck tape corner to corner of the glass is good.
The older I get the better I was.
sham240z

Post by sham240z »

Thanks Walter. Looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks.