Prelimiary Cage Design Question, Climb to Clouds book

Mrk1
AntiSpam: No

Prelimiary Cage Design Question, Climb to Clouds book

Post by Mrk1 »

I am putting together a early design idea for my cage and I took a look at what Climb to the Clouds requires for a guide. The 2014 requirements specify 2 door bars, does an X count as 2? Other rule books have it in writing that an X counts as 2. Also looking at the diagram, gussets B, C, J & K. The writing says 1.0" x 0.090 or 0.125 flat stock. Is that a minimum? I usually make gussets like this out of 1.5" or 1.75" 0.095. Would those be accepted as they are larger then written?

3rdgendennis

Re: Prelimiary Cage Design Question, Climb to Clouds book

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Generally, the rules we use are minimum requirements. Anything more than required is also acceptable (in the case of gussets, tube diameter, etc.)
FIA article 253 (http://www.fia.com/article-253-2015-saf ... d-13072015) is what NASA and Rally America rules are based off of. Cages meeting those requirements are legal for NEHA, as well as NASCAR style cages.
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
walterclark

Re: Prelimiary Cage Design Question, Climb to Clouds book

Post by walterclark »

An X does count as 2 bars. However the CTTC rules require the sill bars on both sides, unless it can be shown that there is equivalent structure added to the existing sills. So, with an X one would still need to add the sill even though that adds up to 3 bars.

Yes, the gusset requirement is a minimum. Gusseting based on .095 1.5 or 1.75 tubing is fine...It exceeds the 1.0 x .090 minimum tube option.
The older I get the better I was.