Safety gear recomendations

Chief Geek
AntiSpam: No

Safety gear recomendations

Post by Chief Geek »

Hi all. Paul Malko here.

As you might imagine, I need to replace my helmet, shoes, & gloves. Also, I'm planning on getting rid of my "X" so I'll need the other stuff too. Anyone have any recommendations for make/model or favorite suppliers from the last couple of years?

Thanks.
Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
3rdgendennis

Re: Safety gear recomendations

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Impact has been by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned. I've used a variety of gloves-didn't like any of them. I believe RaceQuip is the brand I have now. I like shoes with a bit more sole, so I can walk around at okemo in the parking lot without having to change them as soon as I get out of the car.

There is an indoor swap meet at the Big E in Springfield, MA this weekend. There are typically a few vendors selling safety gear, usually at a good discount because it's been on their shelf since last year...
http://www.thebige.com/ese/events/auto- ... ap-n-sell/
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I got a Zamp RX44C after seeing and trying on Dave Estey's http://zamp-racing.com/rz44c.html

Dave and I both needed an XL. I like it. Light, well made and a fraction of the usual carbon helmet cost. The top vent can be plugged or removed and swapped for a forced air nozzle if you choose. The cheek vents can be plugged and look to be safely removable. Comes with both simple ear pads and noise reducing ear cups (choose one).

The gloves I like best have been my Sparco. Over 10 years old and still going strong. I have a more recent pair of the G-Force but the stitching started unraveling the first season and the inside seams felt like they were always in the way of my grip.

I use a G-Force GF125 single layer suit and add the Nomex underwear where temps and rules permit/require. I like it. A $1500 custom suit would be nice but I would feel terrible if I ruined it doing something to my or another car and if I damage this one its no great financial loss.

I also wear G-Force GD235 race boots. Comfortable and the soles are thin enough to feel the pedals but thick enough to provide some padding and protection to the bottom of my feet.
The older I get the better I was.
DaveEstey

Post by DaveEstey »

Walter covered the helmet pretty well. I'll add that I've spent a couple hours in the helmet now between lemons and karting this winter. Still love it.

My suit is a Sparco 3-layer. I don't suggest it. It's too heavy and hot, especially at Okemo as evidenced by the salt deposits. A nicer (more expensive) 3 layer would be better, but I'm not spending that skrilla (yet).

My Sparco mid-rise shoes are most excellent and quite comfortable.

I switched from Sparco gloves (brand whore much?) to a more pricey pair of reverse stitched Simpsons. They're much more comfortable for long periods.
1987 Mazda RX-7 GXL (Hillclimb)
1987 Mazda RX-7 Sport (Lemons)
2008 Mazda MX-5
2015 Ford F-350
2007 Toyota Prius (the fast car)
http://www.DaveEstey.com
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Remember to check the place in Charlotte NC, who have thousands of lightly used crew and racing suits for sale, at good prices. racingjunk.com is where I find 'em - always a good place to look around for used HANS and similar safety gearas well. Kevin Gale found his car there!
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Race Image USA, in Mooresville, NC, has a huge supply of top-of-the-line, gently used NASCAR firesuits, in stock and ready to go! Names such as Simpson, Puma, Sparco, Oakley, Impact, and More. Only the best. You've seen them at your track, now you know where to get yours! Save over 75% off New Pricing. Huge selection of sizes. Don't pay big bucks for custom made suits, we may already have yours in stock. These pro suits are all made from 100% Dupont NOMEX fiber, and are rated SFI 3-2A/5. Don't be mislead by name manufacturers selling low priced SFI5 suits that are chemically treated, or made from Proban. Top of the line suits are lighter, cooler, and more comfortable. 8-)
Visit our website at http://www.raceimage.com, Image All at http://www.racingjunk.com/category/151/ ... pment.html :ugeek: