Cutting body for access to door bars

b5s4mike
AntiSpam: No

Cutting body for access to door bars

Post by b5s4mike »

I found out at Okemo 2 my door bars on the Miata were not completely welded around the bar. Is it legal/acceptable to cut a access point in the lower A pillar to weld the backside of the bars? I was thinking of going through the outside of the pillar and then straight through the inside. Then welding the pillar back up. I thought about noching the sill/upper rocker but that looks tougher to do and to put back together afterwards. Here are some terribly useless pics.
Rabbit Farmer

Re: Cutting body for access to door bars

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Just a thought.... what if you cut out the door sill area to access the bar to complete the weld and then weld back in the door sill part.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
b5s4mike

Post by b5s4mike »

I might end up going that route. I just want the cleanest end result with the least amount of weld grinding.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I am not sure exactly what "cut a access point in the lower A pillar to weld the backside of the bars? I was thinking of going through the outside of the pillar and then straight through the inside" entails, but I would say the less metal you have to remove, the better. Holes in the vertical portions of the A-pillar might be easier to weld back up than cutting out the sill at that bend and doing the same.
The older I get the better I was.