Re: Head and Neck restraints as of 2012

Post by walterclark »

Either SFI or FIA are fine.
The older I get the better I was.
dsldubn
AntiSpam: No

Post by dsldubn »

there are no expiration on these device per our rules, correct? I have the opportunity to to buy a used hans in good shape, but just am curious about dates. Hans has SFI and FIA I believe
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

We (NEHA) do not currently have a rule on H&NR expiration.

The SFI says it needs to be re-certified 5 years from the SFI sticker date. This usually involves inspection by the manufacturer, a new tether and whatever may be worn out (like pads).

The FIA does not expire the restraint but the tether(s) should have an FIA label that is dated and it needs to be replaced every 5 years (or sooner if frayed). If the tether has no date it is assumed to be >5 years old.
Last edited by walterclark on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

thanks Walter. I plan to pick this up and put a new sliding tether.... and add quick clips on the helmet per yours and others' suggestions in here.

Appreciate the quick response, I'll pull the handle and get that X back off my car this year! (x on, X off with cage I had prior to hans rule, X on since no hans, X off again yay!)
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

I got a question about the SFI date on the tethers to the HANS device. I read that it's not or wasn't recognized by NEHC but I'd just like to be sure.

I bought one second hand and the date on the tethers is 2007. Thing was in it's original box and looks like it's never been used or seen the sun.
I'm OK with using it but is there anything I need to do, like re-certify the tethers, to be able to pass tech with it and get the X off my car.

Thanks.
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

We dont have a rule on expiration dates for the H&NR so as long as they look OK to us they are accepted. The SFI re-cert rule (where it is used) is 5 years. Basically the places that do the re-cert (like Downing, in Atlanta, KRJ in Indiana, or Simpson in Texas) inspect the Hans for signs of wear or damage, replace anything worn and replace the tether. The price varies depending on what is needed. See http://simpsonraceproducts.com/sfi-recertifications for more info.
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

Awesome, good to know.
Thanks Walter.
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666