Springs.... part deux

Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Springs.... part deux

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I can figure out my spring rates by comparing rates+weight of my Rabbit (Golf I) vs.rates+weight of the Golf IV, assuming everything is equal.

But it aint....

Right now I have an 8" 500# spring and a 3/4" (or so, when compressed) helper spring.

I have a 3" tender at home. What are the implications of running a 5" 500# spring?

My thought is to run the 3" 200# tender over the 5" 500# main to bring me to the same length as my 8" main spring.

This will allow me to move the threaded collar up about 3/4" (the compressed size of the helper) while keeping the suspension at the same height as it is now (trying to get collar away from the wheel) and give me a little bump sucking ability (the tender spring).

My Rabbit used to run 300 tender / 450 main springs in the front and 150 tender / 300 main springs in the rear.

I would work out something similar for the rear of the Golf if the 5" setup would work in the front.

So.... the biggest question.... implications of running a short 5" spring.

Of course, the 200# tender might be better used in the rear and I use something like 300# in the front.

To answer the question that will be asked.... how does the car currently handle on the 8" 500# spring? Feels pretty good, especially on the track, but shudders across the bumps at Ascutney.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Rabbit Farmer

Re: Springs.... part deux

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Rear springs are 350. I think I will leave that alone.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
dsldubn

Re: Springs.... part deux

Post by dsldubn »

depends on how much total compression travel you have. Then I think you need to know how much preload you get with the weight on the car; like how much the 3" tender compresses and how much the 5" main would compress with just the car on it. Then figure out how much travel you have left after the tender coil binds. If the 5" spring has enough compression left to not bottom before your suspension/strut do, then you should be fine as far as I think. I suspect that you don't have a whole lot of suspension travel and will be ok.

Keep in mind how the dual spring set up works when figuring out compression. The initial rate is a combo of the two springs. I believe you multiple the two rates, then divide by their sum. Your old rabbit set up, using 300 over 450, gives an initial rate of around 180 before the 300 coil binds and gives you the full 450.
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter