IRS for project

britracer89

Re: IRS for project

Post by britracer89 »

Yeah, I have looked at several of the small/light weight SUVs. They all seem to have low HP. However, does not mean they will not hold up to a light 2 wd w/ higher HP.
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

If you go the Subaru route, don't waste your time with a WRX (R160) diff..
It is only marginally better than no diff at all (that's why I have a KAZZ 1.5 LSD on order for mine).

The STI drivetrain would be a better choice, the R180 rear diff has a better LSD and the diff housing is slightly larger.
I'm sure you could find a few wrecked 04+ STI's out there that you could use as donor cars :roll: .
Good luck!
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

britracer89 wrote:Yeah, I have looked at several of the small/light weight SUVs. They all seem to have low HP. However, does not mean they will not hold up to a light 2 wd w/ higher HP.

True but it doesn't mean it will hold up either. It takes some fun away from the launch if you are always having to baby it. My quick change isn't an IRS nor is it light but it is bullet proof and boy is it fun to just wind up that V8 and dump the clutch. :D
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

What about those high horsepower toyota supras??
Some of those guys are hitting close to 1000hp, they must have something that will work.
The folks that brought their drift cars to Ascutney must have some sort of a working solution.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

The Chrysler IRS uses a torque limit In the engine software to avoid "unfortunate events". Does the Ford Explorer IRS come out in a cradle like you want? and what kind of differentials can you get?
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
davisk6

Post by davisk6 »

The IRS from a 240sx would work, but you would need an aftermarket differential and some slightly stronger axles. I know of folks that have put down well over 400hp on those systems. Travis' (Blue 240sx) has close to 700hp on his 240sx. He does have an aftermarket diff though. Not sure about the axles.
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

Thanks for all the input and ideas. I am planning on doing some junk yard hopping Saturday (pending weather). We'll see where it goes from there.
W.Vaillancourt

Post by W.Vaillancourt »

I also have a 240. Its putting down about 300 at the wheels on factory axle's. And I mean factory they have not been touched since they came from the factory. I am running a KAAZ LSD with it but there for it. I have seen them from 370 to 1000 depending on the type. Bill from DSG was running a factory rear end (welded) in his when he was running the hill a few years back. If you decide to try one of these let me know. I have a ton of friends in the 240 world so I may be able to find you the rear cross member and all other needed good's.
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind.
DennisRacing3

Post by DennisRacing3 »

Racing on the edge isnt dangerous its a game