Brakes, Suspension

09lancer_GTS

Brakes, Suspension

Post by 09lancer_GTS »

Hey everyone im new to the racing events and im going to be doing some auto cross and hill climb racing and i want tlo find bembro brakes for my car and havent had any luck. And im trying to find good springs and suspension work for my car to lower it but no luck would like any advice i can get my car is a 09 Mitsubishi lancer GTS
Mopar 151

Re: Brakes, Suspension

Post by Mopar 151 »

Any particular reason why the stock brakes are bad? Generally speaking, stock brakes with high-performance pads, in good working order are more than adequate for hillclimb and autocross. Track days/events are another story, but even then, good pads suffice for many. 8-)
Best thing to do with your suspension is to establish a good baseline before changing everything! Check all the bushings, rod ends, bearings and suchlike for looseness or binding. Fix anything that is'nt right - including known weak spots. Dyno the shocks and rate the springs if possible (more of the :ugeek: baselinething), Scale and align the car. Record all settings and data!!!! Now you can work with tire pressures and temps to start dialing the car in! ;)
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I'd second the opinion on leaving it alone aside from finding a more aggressive brake pad. Adding a big brake kit may put you into a higher class(at least in autocross), with no real benefit.
Find a brake pad vendor that sells Hawk, Carbotech or EBC, and buy a set of those. In addition you may want to upgrade your brake fluid. Evolution.net may be able to help you find those vendors as well as a few other folks on this board that cater mitsu parts.
I think you'll find that tires will be your best investment for the stuff you want to do.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I bet a 09 Mitz is pretty darn capabile of anything you ask of it. I doubt the car the car will be limiting your times. Why risk your warrantee? (We won't fix your broken transmission because your aftermarket brakes voided your warrentee.) Drive it + enjoy!
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
09lancer_GTS

Post by 09lancer_GTS »

Ok thanks guys ill just go to the race and get a base line for it does anyone have any ideas for tires mine are 18" but im thinking going to 19"s
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

tire rack is doing killer deals on the Bridgestone RE01r right now. Pick up a set of those. They are perfect for the street tire classes for autocross, and would be decent for a hillclimber in the U class rain or shine. They are also a decent daily driver tire.
Keeping the smaller rim tire combo you can will likely save you a lot of unsprung weight, not to mention keep the cost down.

Keep in mind that stuff that might be popular with the street tuner crowd might not make you any quicker at a hillclimb or autocross. I would just get a set of the bridgestones for your stock rims and go from there.

Honestly, money is best spent on getting seat time(then tires). Then if something breaks, replace it with a performance part. It's tough in the early spring to avoid spending the cash on parts as you get excited for the upcoming season. You'll be much better off with an event or two under your belt before you start buying a bunch of stuff(you'll then have a better idea of what stuff you actually NEED).
Sachilles
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

fyi, it looks like you might be able to go to something as small as a 16 inch rim. Though I'm not sure the Re01r, with a size that would work for you.
There is a 17 inch size that would work height wise, but might be too wide for your car 245/45 17, so you'd have to research that.

Looks like your stock 215/45 18 size is kind of an odd ball setup.
Sachilles
09lancer_GTS

Post by 09lancer_GTS »

ok thanks ill do that has anyone plan on going to the first mtn race in vermont in may i think it is
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

On my Rabbit for every year I raced it, I had stock street-compound brake pads.... brakes don't get hot at the hillclimbs and there is only so much late braking that you want to do before you realize "hey, there is no run off... brake earlier". Coming down the hill is a different story... I usually followed cars down the hill with bumpers the same height as mine just in case (just kidding). The turbo Rabbit has stock pads on it also...
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com