Tranny issue

DaveEstey
AntiSpam: No

Tranny issue

Post by DaveEstey »

Car in question is my 2002 Acura RSX.
I started getting a knocking noise at partial throttle driving down the highway last night.

Add more throttle and it stops, turn the wheel a bit and it stops.

I put the car up on jack stands and with the car running in neutral there's no noise. Put the car in any gear and let the clutch out I get a couple knocks and then it settles into a whiney noise as I add revs. I never heard the whine before but I have winter tires now that drown out just about everything.

Any suggestions?

Car has 154k on it now. I'm going to trailer it to the mechanic but I'd like to have some ideas so I can start looking for parts.
1987 Mazda RX-7 GXL (Hillclimb)
1987 Mazda RX-7 Sport (Lemons)
2008 Mazda MX-5
2015 Ford F-350
2007 Toyota Prius (the fast car)
http://www.DaveEstey.com
Mopar 151

Re: Tranny issue

Post by Mopar 151 »

Maybe a wheelbearing or outer CV.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
DaveEstey

Post by DaveEstey »

I don't think it's a wheel bearing since there's no play in either wheel but I would be ecstatic if it was just a CV joint. I have to admit these things have taken a real pounding with this car being tracked for three years, the rodeo turn at Stowe early this year was particularly abusive.

I'll crawl under the car a bit more tomorrow morning but either way it's getting a trip on the trailer.
2008 Mazda MX-5
2015 Ford F-350
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

The cartridge type wheelbearings have a lot of preload, and may not loosen until they are REALLY bad. Do they feel rough or gritty when turned by hand?
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
DaveEstey

Post by DaveEstey »

Nope, nice and smooth.

I'm not sure what to think of it. If the noise got worse while cornering I'd be all set with a diagnosis, but the noise goes away when cornering.
2008 Mazda MX-5
2015 Ford F-350
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

You might try rocking one wheel then the other while the car is up in the air and in gear with the engine off. Any play in the drive train will show up there. If you seem to have a lot, you can trace it back CV, axle splines, excessive R&P lash, internal gear lash, etc. I found with my GTI when the preload on the pinion or diff bearings were low I got too much free rotational play causing some banging noise at part throttle when the drive train alternately loaded and unloaded. And when the gear stack thrust surfaces wore and allowed too much travel up and down the pinion or main shaft, when in the worn gears I would get a similar banging as the driveline loaded and unloaded (the helical cut forces the gear against one thrust surface then the other as load is applied and removed and the banging was in fact the impact against the thrust surfaces).
The older I get the better I was.
DaveEstey

Post by DaveEstey »

There seems to be the same amount of play in both sides and it does seem excessive.
2008 Mazda MX-5
2015 Ford F-350
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

So does the knock vary with the rpm? While on the stands do you get any more noise if you crank the wheel left or to the right? Does the car have a dual mass flywheel?

One of the subaru's I bought was reported to have a mystery clunk in one corner. The previous owner had gone to the trouble of putting in new struts and top hats to solve the problem to no avail. I found that the brake caliper was missing a bolt, and allowed the caliper to bounce making the clunk. Moral of the story, make sure you check to see everything on the front suspension is secured properly including sway bar end links.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
DaveEstey

Post by DaveEstey »

The knock varies in volume based on speed but went silent when turning while the car was on the ground. Since the noise is linked to load it's hard to test it with the front end in the air.

Single mass flywheel too.

I'll dig into the car more tomorrow morning if the weather is ok. At this rate I may be picking up the Scooby I've been eyeing sooner than later, fixing the Acura and selling it.
2008 Mazda MX-5
2015 Ford F-350
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

hard to say not hearing it, but I would lean more towards an axle/CV

I had a noise under load in the STI this summer. Under most driving I couldnt here anything. Under a heavy load it would make the noise. Didnt have any play or other signs of being bad except the joint was a little stiff. Replaced the axle and the problem went away. This might be something similar.
Nick