VW 020 clutch setup

qezel
AntiSpam: No

VW 020 clutch setup

Post by qezel »

First off.. my name is Will and this is my first post on the forum, my brother had my scirocco at Okemo I this year and then we doubled in his miata this past weekend at Ascutney. My scirocco wasn't there due to unresolved clutch issues and, needless to say, after Ascutney (which was my first hillclimb) the first thing I did this week was rip my tranny out to begin getting the car ready for Philo. What I found was a busted spring in the disc's hub and a deformed thrust plate that then wore the end of the pushrod off.

I'm trying to figure out what I should put back in the car that would be good for hillclimb use.. I have a eurospec lightened flywheel on the way and am wondering what I should run for a disc and pressure plate. Solid or sprung hub? Disc or 6-puck? Stock 16v pressure plate or upgraded? etc etc. Any input is greatly appreciated, especially from those running 020 tranny VWs.. TIA
walterclark

Re: VW 020 clutch setup

Post by walterclark »

After I had a torque strap rivet let go then had a serious runout issue on the next OEM/Sachs clutch/PP in 2008 on my GTI, I switched to Clutchnet and have had no issues since. I went with the equivalent to their Stage 4 clutch/PP package and am using a lightened flywheel on the 020. I chose an unsprung hub 6 puck clutch. My 2.0 16V engine produces about 185 crank horsepower.
The older I get the better I was.
qezel

Post by qezel »

Walter-- I was hoping you'd reply. Ok so the clutchnet pp is a good idea.. do you think the yellow level plate is the way to go or would green be fine? Also, I know the unsprung clutch hubs can wear out trannys by transmitting too much vibration, do you think this is an issue with the 020 or do you think it's not an issue and you're better off just running a solid hub that can't explode springs. Basically-- what was your thinking behind running a solid hub? If it makes any difference, I don't have a trailer and will be driving the car to events from CT, at least for now.

Oh, and do the clutchnet pp's still use the stock thrust plate? I'd imagine so, but they don't say anything about it on their site so I wasn't sure
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

I second the torque strap issue. I exploded mine. The new one is triple strapped not sure where I got it. I guess all the engine breaking on the bring down puts the straps in compression and they are not designed for that. I now just cook my brakes on the way down instead. Where in CT are you? are you on improved touring.com your screenname looks familiar.
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

oh wait motorgeek. that s where I know your screenname from.
qezel

Post by qezel »

sciroccohp wrote:oh wait motorgeek. that s where I know your screenname from.

Yup.. I used to spend a lot of time on MG, but I've been growing tired of sifting through all the pointless chit chat that seems to have taken over that forum.. still a ton of good stuff, but just a lot more going that is of no interest to me.

So I'm definitely looking at a beefier pp, what do you run for a disc?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I have the yellow PP though green would probably be adequate. I felt the additional rated capacity (of about 100 pound feet of torque) might provide me with stronger rivets and torque straps than green or stock and in the end the $100 the price difference could save me much more by avoiding a failure. The red level was not available for the 020 when I bought or I would have chosen that.

I didnt consider vibration transmission or crank harmonic twisting when selecting a clutch. Only the strength, weight and positive action. The way I drive the car is just at the hill and it either full on or full off the throttle where the hub springs do little but fail and mess up the clutch and pressure plate. Without the hub springs the clutch is much lighter which reduces the stress on the syncros trying to match input shaft to output shaft. I also avoided the marcel spring to reduce the potential for friction material de-lamination and its elimination crisps up the engagement and dis-engagement giving the syncros just a bit more time to do their job.

The only negative thing I have noticed in 3 seasons with this setup is I get a slight weeping of gear oil past the transmission input shaft seal - perhaps from the added vibration coupled from the engine when it is idling.

I guess if I had to drive the car on the street (in traffic) much I would probably go with a sprung hub clutch which also usually has the marcel springs.
The older I get the better I was.
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

Some 4 puck solid disk I had laying around. I did not want to ruin the custom 2 plate clutch for road racing while I learn how to hillclimb. I am ashamed to say I did not put much thought into it, just used what I had.