STI fueling question

4th2ndgendennis
AntiSpam: No

STI fueling question

Post by 4th2ndgendennis »

What fuel rails/distribution system is best for the STI?

Apparently mine is not capable at higher power levels. #3 piston keeps melting, with no sign of detonation anywhere else. Injectors already replaced, with flow sheets. Not close to maxed out on duty cycle on any of them.

Thoughts? Perrin? Cosworth? Aeromotive? Any suggestions from past experiences?
Chief Geek

Re: STI fueling question

Post by Chief Geek »

Is this #98? If so, I know you stopped on the hill on at Okemo, but I didn't know why. Are you having more of the same problems running lean you had at Burke?
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

#3 seem interesting on its own, as most of the go lean on #4.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

At the forums at www.romraider.com you'll find many folks with Subie experience relative to tunes. Lots of good info there.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
4th2ndgendennis

Post by 4th2ndgendennis »

Chief Geek wrote:Is this #98? If so, I know you stopped on the hill on at Okemo, but I didn't know why. Are you having more of the same problems running lean you had at Burke?

#96 Black STI.

Burke was the vaccuum line blew off the fuel pressure regulator. Put it back on and was running ok----until #3 melted. Thought it was because of the vaccuum line, but replaced the injectors anyway, since there was no sign of detonation anywhere else. Now that I am repeating the motor build, I am thinking fuel distribution problem. Current system is Agency Power---not exactly a top brand.
Terry.Murphy

Post by Terry.Murphy »

Subaru's come with series injector rail setups and will run best when convertered to a parallel system. The series injector setup looses fuel pressure slowly as it goes from the #1 injector to the rest. Therefore, when it gets to cyl's 3&4, the pressure has decreased and the car runs lean. I converted my fuel system to a parallel fuel rail system and the car is much more happy as I was getting lean codes in 3&4 until I did this.

http://www.ludicrous-speed.com/wiki/ind ... l_rail_mod

That is a link that I used to setup my system. There are some companies (Perrin is one that I know of) that make a parallel rail conversion but it's big bucks. The entire setup I installed ran around $200 and the most expensive part I purchased was an Aeromotive FPR for around $140, the rest were AN fittings, hose, a fuel rail adaptor, and a fuel y block.

If you want to check out my setup at Okemo I will be there. It was simple and only took an hour or so to do. I hope this helps!

Terry
#8 Impreza RS
2010 Subaru Forester DD
1996 Legacy Outback Wagon - Winter Beater
2001 Impreza RS - Project Autox/Hillclimb/Track Car
Terry.Murphy

Post by Terry.Murphy »

Crap, Scratch that.....didn't know you already had a parallel system on the car! Should have read all of the posts!

Who is tuning the car? Are they a normal Subaru tuner?
2010 Subaru Forester DD
1996 Legacy Outback Wagon - Winter Beater
2001 Impreza RS - Project Autox/Hillclimb/Track Car
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

Right, #98. #96 is a later generation Dennis.

Your best Sunday radar speed at Okemo was 2nd highest of all. The only one higher is Butch and I doubt his engine would fit in anything smaller than a truck.

Fuel pressure at the injector problems is where I'd look first too.

Will the fuel rail accept fittings near the injectors? If it's easy, I'll bet adding 4 fuel pressure gauges piped as close to the injectors as possible and videoing them would provide important clues. I don't know how you or our tech inspectors feel about extra pressurized fuel lines in the cockpit though.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Fuel pressure at the injector problems is where I'd look first too.

If I put a .020" restrictor just after the gauge, It bet it would show plenty of pressure-but not have enough fuel to the injector.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

I would consider a visual internal inspection of the fuel rails, both with and without the injectors plugged into them - as well as the feed lines to the fuel rails. Is it possible to increase the internal size of the fuel rail itself?