Oil pressure

KevinGale

Re: Oil pressure

Post by KevinGale »

As the late great Smokey Yunich said:
Stock wet-sump systems do an excellent job in street engines, but there are definite limits to what a wet-sump can do. ... we spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on wet-sump research. We fooled around with all kinds of oil pump and oil pan modifications. We tested baffles, trap doors, swinging pickups and virtually everything you can imagine. Finally I came to the conculsion that the G-loads developed by a sophisticated racing chassis are so severe that a wet-sump oil system cannon adequately control the oil, and as far as I am concerned, every serious racing engine should be fitted with a dry-sump oiling system!
He also says:
I think a low buck racer can slide along with a wet-sump. In fact as long as you can run with the pack without using a dry sump you will be ahead of the game. However if you start running really hard, the wet-sump will inevitably swallow a little air in the corner, and when this happens, the bearings and what was a perfectly good crankshaft will fall out of the engine faster than he can say, oh shit.
Challenger392
AntiSpam: No

Post by Challenger392 »

The only corners I had trouble with were the hairpins before check 4&5. Those were the only right hand corners I was pushing hard enough to matter. I'll take the pan off and check to make sure ascutneys bumps didn't shake anything loose and check the pickup to pan clearance (suggestions welcome). For Burke I'll just run it 2 quarts over full and see what happens. At worst I'll just have to take it slow around the tight rights. Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'd love dry sump but that's not in the budget right now.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
Mopar 151w2
AntiSpam: No

Expert Advice

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Our friend Lee Emery used to say "The only way I ever got to be an expert on anything was to f*%# it up every possible way 1st!"
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Mopar 151w2 wrote:Our friend Lee Emery used to say "The only way I ever got to be an expert on anything was to f*%# it up every possible way 1st!"
I'm getting there with Neons...
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

Ditto with Subarus...currently on engine #4 and tranny #3.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

1/4" to 3/8". Nothing more-nothing less. Being in our situation with bumps + things that want to attack an oil pan, make a small strip to run across the pick up-above it a 1/4". may save the day if something pushes on the bottom of the pan.
Best way to measure it-put some tape across the pick up-take a a couple small pieces of clay (sugar cube sized) on the pick up-now bolt up the pan (with gasket) with a couple of bolts-drop the pan + measure the clays thickness.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
smokey15

Post by smokey15 »

John:

The current oil pan on Luke's car is a Canton Road Race pan. I sold the one you modified for me to Artie for Mt. Washington. The Canton has been in the car since Pikes Peak.

Smokey