Kill switch

Post by RacingFrog »

The current rules state:
"5. GENERAL
AA. Kill Switch
1. Switch to cut off / isolate battery power throughout the car, obviously
marked with standard lightning bolt symbol and off position is clearly
marked. "

The way the kill switch is currently wired in Lincoln's STI, it just cuts the battery which means that once the car is started and is running from the alternator, the kill switch doesn't kill anything until you turn the ignition key off. This seems pretty useless to me and in the Vette the kill switch kills both the battery and the ignition so that the worker can actually switch the car off by turning the switch.

Given that the car has passed even Mt Washington's tech, I guess it's not required for a kill switch to actually kill the ignition?
Is this something that we want to specify in the rules and is that something that tech is willing to check?
--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
walterclark

Re: Kill switch

Post by walterclark »

It IS supposed to kill the engine as well as isolate the battery. I assumed everyone knew that by now, especially if they are running a P class car.

We do not check every switch, but we do check some of them at random or if we think there may be an issue. If we did check every one of the things we require in each and every car we would have to start tech on Thursday or begin running after noon Saturday. We assume competitors are smart enough to do some things like this correctly, since it is their own best interest.

Since it was Don and I at Mt Washington a s well as at every hillclimb doing tech I assume your are taking shots at our sloppy work. If it were me I would just fix it and keep my mouth shut.

Guess who is not going to be making any more special trips to someone's pit to tech their car because they need a special lift and it is inconvenient to bring it with them to tech.
The older I get the better I was.
RacingFrog
AntiSpam: No

Post by RacingFrog »

walterclark wrote: Since it was Don and I at Mt Washington a s well as at every hillclimb doing tech I assume your are taking shots at our sloppy work. If it were me I would just fix it and keep my mouth shut.

Guess who is not going to be making any more special trips to someone's pit to tech their car because they need a special lift and it is inconvenient to bring it with them to tech.
I am sorry, I didn't attend Mt Washington and didn't know who was doing tech. I heard that some people were doing safety modifications to their car for Mt Washington so I assumed there were stricter rules, it wasn't my intention to blame or point fingers to anyone.

When I was researching how to wire the kill switch in my Vette, there was a debate on the Vette forums how to kill the ignition and it looks like some racing series only require to isolate battery power but not kill the ignition (which I don't get but that's the way it is). So to summarize, I think that our rules are not clearer since they only mention to cut off / isolate battery power which does not require cutting the power coming from the alternator. I am not blaming anyone, I am just trying to clarify and possibly improve the current rule. I thought it was also important that tech weigh in on this issue as you are the ones with the knowledge and experience.

I would propose to replace 'battery' by 'electrical' as follows:
AA. Kill Switch
1. Switch to cut off / isolate electrical power throughout the car, obviously
marked with standard lightning bolt symbol and off position is clearly
marked.

Once again, I apologize if I offended you, this was not my intention. I really appreciate all the work you and Don are doing for the series.
--
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Accepted.

IMO, disconnecting the battery on a running engine is asking for trouble. The regulator associated with the alternator output uses the battery as a filter to reduce spikes present in the alternator diode raw output and and to improve regulation otherwise. Disconnecting it can result in damage to electronic devices connected to the vehicle including ECUs.

I would suggest you go ahead and make that proposal.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I have the opposite understanding of this current rule...
Switch to cut off / isolate battery power throughout the car
The rule only states that the kill switch isolates the battery and does not mention the ignition.

Even the Mt Washington rules state:
A recognized battery shut-off switch must be used in all cars.
I believe what is in Lincoln's old car meets both rule requirements, therefore, were properly "passed" at tech at NEHA and CTTC events.

Yes, I agree that a proper kill switch should include the ignition, but it does not seem to be a current requirement.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
RacingFrog

Post by RacingFrog »

Rabbit Farmer wrote: The rule only states that the kill switch isolates the battery and does not mention the ignition.

Even the Mt Washington rules state:
A recognized battery shut-off switch must be used in all cars.
Yes this was also my understanding, this is why I was proposing a change to also cut the ignition. From my reading, I have gathered that a cut-off/shut-off switch only isolate power from the battery but that a kill-switch also has to to cut ignition.
If a car crashes and the worker cannot shut the car off from the kill switch, I think this is an issue. Do you think enforcing the ignition cut-off would be a bad idea?

I also noticed at my crash at Burke that there was only 1 wire left going to my horn and I was actually quite fortunate that my horn was still working! So if the impact triggers the kill switch for some reason, is that going to cut the horn too? In which case, would it be safer to make the air horn mandatory for any class that requires a kill switch? (I will be switching to an air horn in the Vette for next season anyway).
--
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

In general I think an air horn is a wise addition for anyone running our hills. Most horns are in harms way during an off, having a good chance at being disabled.
Pretty easy insurance to zip tie an airhorn to the cage.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Yes, calling it a kill switch if it is ONLY required to disconnect the battery is misleading. If only disconnecting the battery were the intent it should have been referred to as a battery disconnect. I agree that added wording to include the engine in the kill function is appropriate.

My horns were half unplugged by my spin at Ascutney resulting a weak beep that was unheard at the checks. I plan to go with an air horn. If I had needed to hit the kill switch after the car came to rest, that would have removed power from them, so having a horn that doesnt need the battery is a good idea.
RacingFrog

Post by RacingFrog »

I have submitted a rule change proposal for the kill switch and the air horn (for cars equipped with a kill switch).
--