Walter's proposal (Fire Ext)

sachilles

Re: Walter's proposal (Fire Ext)

Post by sachilles »

This is how I understood it, and correct me if I'm wrong.

You have your metal mount. It's bolted to the structure. If the bolts are the furthest forward part of the extinguisher setup, then the latch is facing the rear of the car. So in essence if the bolts, go forward or to the side you are legal? I think the intent was that in a frontal impact, the bracket takes the brunt of the force, rather than the strap.

I do think this is one of those rules where a picture is worth a thousand words.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
slickfast
AntiSpam: No

Post by slickfast »

I completely agree with the pictures comment made by sachilles.

I have an E36 M3. Read the rules much earlier in the season, made sure I understood them, and sourced a very rare OEM fire extinguisher and OEM bracket which has a metal bracket with a nylon (seatbelt material, sort of) strap, which was conforming to the current rules. Anyway, I FINALLY sourced all of these parts, installed them, went to check the rules, and was devastated to find they had changed drastically. This car is pristine and I really don't want to drill holes in it to install a fire extinguisher (I'm planning on selling, so I don't want to leave two giant holes where the extinguisher used to be).

I found a current-rules-conforming bracket and extinguisher, but I can't figure out how to do it without drilling ridiculous holes in the side of the nicest car I've ever owned. Can someone give a newb some pointers? I am in serious need of attending these events!

Thanks,
Colin
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

The car we ran at the Bolton hillclimb was our daily driver (less than a year old). My brother made a metal bracket that attached to the front mounting points of the passenger's seat. Worked great.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Colin - I would beg to differ with your post. 1)Our rules have not changed an iota since Febuary. 2) those changesdealt only with brackets for extuinguishers substantially larger than the minimum, and requiring the mimum handheld extuinguisher even with an onboard system.
3) The specific requirement for a 1A/5BC extuinguisher has been in existience for at least 4 years.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Some details changed in Feb. 2010. Regarding straps we used to say: "No plastic straps, catches, or brackets." Now we say: "No non-metal or elastic straps, latches, or brackets are permitted."

Wikipedia says this: "Nylon is a thermoplastic silky material". And "Polyethylene terephthalate, commonly abbreviated PET, PETE, is a thermoplastic polymer resin of the polyester family" (it is also commonly known by the DuPont trade name Dacron). These are the 2 most common "seatbelt" type materials. While they are not as obviously plastic as say a zip tie, they are a plastic and thus they have not been permitted by our rules for years. The 2010 revision just makes it less subtle.

I found one image of one of these BMW extinguishers on line and I dont see a pressure gauge which is required. What is the chemical used and rating of it? It must be at least 2.5 pounds net and carry an ABC rating.
Last edited by walterclark on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Post a picture of the bracket. It may be very easily adaptable to accept a metal strap(I have a spare you can have).
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66