Break out times

KevinGale

Break out times

Post by KevinGale »

I noticed there is a proposal to consider breaking out by more than 10 seconds to be the end of a car at a venue.

In light of this is there any support for adjusting the break out times? The times were orignally created by using the average time printed in the result sheets a few years back. Since then I've noticed the average times are now a little lower. It amounts to about two seconds, so the simplest proposal would be to lower all the breakout times by two seconds. Example of the new values:

Ascutney 3:18 (short course), 4:18 (long course)
Bolton 1:30
Burke 2:28
Okemo 2:41
Philo 1:18

I know some people will immediately think lowering breakout times is a bad idea but consider this. Over time the average time always goes down. We now have average times that would have been FTD many years ago. Technology keeps getting better and has a way of slowly lowering the time cars can run without pushing hard.

Feedback anyone?
honda#72
AntiSpam: No

Re: Break out times

Post by honda#72 »

I know it may be too complicated but maybe a break out per class would work. The break out time that may be easier for some cars, without pushing hard, takes a whole lot of pushing hard in another car. I know the Sti's and others can hold back and easily break out, while some slower cars require the drive to drive the wheels off the thing to break out . Those slower cars are taking more risk trying to push hard, and carry speed, rather than make up for it with HP.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I have a hard enough time keeping track of breakout times that per hill. Per class would be much more work. :shock:

We also allow people to bump up in class so unless we changed that rule people would just bump up until they got a breakout they liked.
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

I thought it would be too much of a hassle to have a break out per class but I thought I would throw it out there, however there will always be ways around the break out, like people sandbaging for most of the weekend.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I don't have a problem with changing the break out time by 2 seconds.

Not sure what the correct answer is in regards to solving the sand bagging issue. One of those damned if you do, damned if you don't type of situations.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I'm still trying to decide if I want to make an actual proposal. I'm still sorta waiting for the negative responses. :-)
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

only thing I would check is if you lowered it by 2 seconds how many people who aren't sandbagging it going to need a cage? I guess what I am trying to say is if you looked at the results from last season are there 10 cars that would now need a cage or 1? If its 10 then there is definitely a potential for them not to come back. just a thought.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I understood it to mean you can get up the hill 2 seconds faster, and still not hit the break out.
Example:
Philo, the break out is 1:20, under this change it would be 1:18.
In my case I believe I could have beat 1:20, but I think I would have been hard pressed to beat 1:18. I would consider the car to have average performance(non-turbo'd subaru sp3), and my ability to be average(on a good day).

Kevin, you have my support on it, if that means anything. Though I think it would be wise to add language saying that a change in the break out time, does not retro-actively allow a non-caged car back into the competition that previously broke out.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

ahh my bad, i understand now.
Number_5

Post by Number_5 »

I would have agreed to the miss-interpretation. The object of the break out rule is to allow new racers to see if they want to get serious and to try to improve safety for those that go too fast. MPH. Not elapsed time.
John M
A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings.
Albert