"Whale rule"

Mopar 151

"Whale rule"

Post by Mopar 151 »

Add to 3.A.1 "Maximum wheelbase of 144", waivable only by prior approval of the tow operator and the chairman or designee (i.e. tech inspector)"
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: "Whale rule"

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

John... official rule submission or discussion item?
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Can we kick it around for a few days?
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

There goes the plan for stretching the modifed. :D

Since Don has pretty much spoken on this already it's probably not a bad idea to have it in the rules. I'm wondering about weight. What if someone shows up in a 10,000 lb monster truck clone. Yeah I think that is pretty unlikely too, but anything really heavy is a problem. If Don can't pull it out of the ditch it's pretty much a no go.
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Would you really want to set a specific limit? I would think you would want to word something to the affect that it needs to be left up to the person towing. This way it could be left up to Don, and they would have to contact Don ahead of time.
Nick
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Of course we can kick it around.... that is why we have the forums. ;)

Weight and length are the concern. I wouldn't want to specify either. Perhaps the rule should state that a driver of an abnormal length or weight vehicle will need to contact Tech in advance of the event to determine if they car is allowable; even then, it is at the discretion of Tech during the actual tech process.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

OK, it's kind of an arbitrary limit - It's a little over the wheelbase of an 8' bed, Standard Cab pickup. Monster trucks fail tech on ride height alone, and I would question the drivline brakes as well. And Don & the chair can still say OK, fine. If Mike Ryan is gonna show up with his 1500hp semi, or a Paris/Dakar rally truck, we can work out terms to have one of my cousin's rigs available.Image
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I'm ok with leaving it vague and letting the chair deal with it in the rare case it happens. It's not really a common problem. Generally we worry a lot more about cars that are too short and light.

If we do want to put in limits we could just put in reasonable limits that cover 99.99% of the cases and say anything beyond that requires special approval. So we wouldn't forbid anything but we've given ourselves an out for refusing it. I'd like to see the 1500hp semi run! Maybe we should invite him.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

KevinGale wrote:I'm ok with leaving it vague and letting the chair deal with it in the rare case it happens. It's not really a common problem. Generally we worry a lot more about cars that are too short and light.

If we do want to put in limits we could just put in reasonable limits that cover 99.99% of the cases and say anything beyond that requires special approval. So we wouldn't forbid anything but we've given ourselves an out for refusing it. I'd like to see the 1500hp semi run! Maybe we should invite him.
Surrrreee-and I hope its you rather than me that has to pass it up above holding at Okemo! :o
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

sdwarf36 wrote:Surrrreee-and I hope its you rather than me that has to pass it up above holding at Okemo! :o
On the plus side the semi might be enough to scare the condo people off the road. Your car just isn't doing it. I've heard people describe it as cute. :lol: