Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

AA. Kill Switch
1. Switch to cut off / isolate battery power power throughout the car, obviously
marked with a universal sign.
Note to self to submit correct.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
RALLY200SX
AntiSpam: No

Re: 2010

Post by RALLY200SX »

Question: what is the best or is there a required location? Does it need to be outside the car or does it need to be inside - within drivers reach? Thanks, JIM
#16 1987 Mazda RX7
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

The workers need to be able to reach it so buried deep inside the car isn't great. From lots of experience within the drivers reach is a good idea if possible. Otherwise you will constantly have to climb back out of the car when you forget to turn the switch on. It's also nice to be able to turn it off after a crash even before you unbuckle.

I'll also say having it on the exterior of the car isn't the best spot. I had one there and in a crash it got hit. That could make it impossible to turn off. In my case it did turn off from the impact and the first worker to arrive turned it back on thinking they were turning it off. Watching the lights in the dash come back on while I was upside-down with gas pouring out of the carb right in front of me is a experience I won't ever forget. :o

So best bet is somewhere reachable by the driver and workers that is also protected from impact.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

When I built my car as a rally car I mounted the kill switch on the dash to theleft of the instrument cluster where a vent used to be (since the A-pillar bar ran thru there the vent feed had to be removed anyway). I did this so it was reachable by me or someone coming to the car (assuming the drivers window was down or broken - or that door could be opened). I didnt put it on the codrivers side because 1) my codriver would not know what to do with it 2) rally cars seem to always hit on the co-drivers side so it was away from the most likely damage :roll: .

I have found it to be safe, useful and convenient located there. Since most of the time I run with the windows down, it is easy to see and reach from the outside as well.
The older I get the better I was.