General questions about safety items.

brocolli.rob
AntiSpam: No

General questions about safety items.

Post by brocolli.rob »

Hello,

Would a lanyard style battery kill switch pass tech inspection?
It's not exactly par for the course but minimally invasive.

2x t-handle pull cables, 1 in the cabin, 1 on the rain tray/cowl.

some examples

upper right

or

Also: extinguisher mounts. Would something likethis pass as well? (sandwiched between seat and the floorpan, asuming fully charged 2.5 lb ABC)

Sorry if they are redundant questions, I'd like to be 100% sure before committing.
sachilles

Re: General questions about safety items.

Post by sachilles »

Walter does tech, so I he doesn't see this right off, might be wise to send him a pm.

I'm fairly certain the fire bottle setup would be fine, as long as the mount is all metal. I've seen several people do that. I do think they'd prefer you to rotate it 90 degrees from that picture, so that in a front end collision, the weight of it is taken by the nozzle holder thingy, rather than the strap.

The battery kill switch is only required in Prepared class(and maybe rally), FYI.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

The kill switch and the ends of the pulls should be placed where they arent likely to be damaged or rendered inoperable in a crash. Lnyards on the kill are fine. Avoid mounting the release on the front, rear, sides and roof outside. Locating it on the cowl at the base of the windshield or the intersection of the rear window and trunk lid is good for the one on the outside.

The extinguisher bracket just needs to be secure. If something like the bracket in the photo is bolted (not just held on with sheetmetal screws) to sheetmetal, of reasonable strength so it wont tear away in an impact, that is then secured under the seat rail anchor bolts, then it should be good.
The older I get the better I was.
brocolli.rob
AntiSpam: No

Post by brocolli.rob »

Thank you both.