Rules for 2015.... Electric cars and events to drop

General Regulations on how a NEHA hillclimb should function, how the series works, etc.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: Rules for 2015.... Electric cars and events to drop

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I came up with the breakout times by taking the average time for each event over the past 5 years. Some rounding, I suppose.

The problem with coming up with revised breakout times using the same method is that people have been following the breakout time for years, therefore, I would not expect a lot of changes to the average (big change in mode).

That was just the method that I used.

Breakout times too slow or fast? Adjust the numbers without any scientific methodology in a proposal. Doesn't have to be rocket science to propose a different time.

Question on the Miata tires... is it the rim size that came on the car or a rim size that was available?

For example, my 1984 VW Rabbit (non-GTI) came with 13"x5" or rims. I used GTI (14x6) rims instead with no hit as it was a tire that was available for the Rabbit (regardless of trim). Same reason I could take out the 1.7-liter and use the 1.8-liter as the engine was available in the GTI.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Question on the Miata tires... is it the rim size that came on the car or a rim size that was available?

For example, my 1984 VW Rabbit (non-GTI) came with 13"x5" or rims. I used GTI (14x6) rims instead with no hit as it was a tire that was available for the Rabbit (regardless of trim). Same reason I could take out the 1.7-liter and use the 1.8-liter as the engine was available in the GTI.

Steve
Thats the best size available for the top option for that car. I just sold a pair of the stock 14x4.5 wheels that belonged on the car. It just seems silly to assume that all oems apply equivalent wheel sizes for their cars throughout all generations, and applying a classification penalty relative to that serves no purpose but to penalize cars whose manufacturers made arbitrary or outdated wheel sizes.
RacingFrog

Post by RacingFrog »

Rabbit Farmer wrote: Breakout times too slow or fast? Adjust the numbers without any scientific methodology in a proposal. Doesn't have to be rocket science to propose a different time.
I don't really have a reference but do you see an increase in breakouts? When I saw the golf broke out by more than 10secs at Ascutney on its first run, that was bizarre.
Only people with more experience can decide whether it's safe or not. It is hard to find a time that will be appropriate for all U classes. But some times can be low for modern cars with modern rubber.
--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Anecdotally, I see fewer folks breaking out. It was more common when the rule went into effect. It was popular to have a bonzai final run breaking out, knowing it was your freebie. We then had an major off at Philo from someone doing just that, and that seemed to help curb that trend. In addition, it created a little more buy in to discourage novices from attempting it.
The breakout at Ascutney was by someone with plenty of previous experience, in a car that is plenty capable.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66