No Y Harness NOT permitted?

General Regulations on how a NEHA hillclimb should function, how the series works, etc.
RalphC
AntiSpam: No

No Y Harness NOT permitted?

Post by RalphC »

Hi,

excuse me if this is a dumb question but i'm planning on doing my first hillclimb and while i thought i read the rules throughly i just went back through them and i see that Y hanresses are not permitted. Is this the normal seatbelt that goes in your car, or are they talking about something else?

I have an 02 WRX with an exhaust and some other minor things that i've been told is in the S3 class, do i need to have a harness other than the stock seatbelt installed?

Thanks.
sachilles

Re: No Y Harness NOT permitted?

Post by sachilles »

You should be fine with your stock seat belt.

I believe a Y harness, is a seat harness, where the two shoulder straps converge into one strap, and that one strap mounts to the car.

Basically as I understand it, your stock 3 point belt is OK unless you have a roll cage. If you have a cage you need a 5 or 6 point harness.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
RalphC

Post by RalphC »

You guys are quick with my questions!

thanks!!

see you all at philo
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

a bunch of folks are meeting at the hill around 11:30 or 12 tomorrow to set up the hill. Many hands make light work.
If you can show up to help set up, you can pick the brains of all sorts of nice folks and get an advance look at the hill.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
brocolli.rob

Post by brocolli.rob »

hi gents, i know its an old thread but I also plan to run a y-harness in lieu of a roll bar for strap guidance. its a non caged car in the street prepared class, never been at a hill climbed. would such a setup pass tech? oem belts are still in the car.

-rob.
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Y-harnesses are bad news for a couple reasons - the biggest of which is stitching failure at the Y after sun exposure. Look at an "H" harness for your application.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

From the technical regulations:
4. COCKPIT
A. Belts
2. Y-type shoulder harness is NOT permitted.
The older I get the better I was.
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

I have a friend who runs 9 seconds 1/4 miles in NHRA, in short pants, with Y harnesses and a $19.99 seat. I can't beleive the NHRA lets people do 150mph like that. I know they are only going straight , but still...
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

honda#72 wrote:I have a friend who runs 9 seconds 1/4 miles in NHRA, in short pants, with Y harnesses and a $19.99 seat. I can't beleive the NHRA lets people do 150mph like that. I know they are only going straight , but still...
My video game driving console exceeds NHRA specs for sub 10 second stock bodied cars. That should tell you something, but I havent figured out what...
The older I get the better I was.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

My video game driving console exceeds NHRA specs for sub 10 second stock bodied cars. That should tell you something, but I havent figured out what...[/quote]

Why does this NOT suprise me? :D

Check this site out: http://thewayiplay.com/
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.