Formula Libre change of class name

Discussion related to classification of cars in the NEHA series.
Challenger392
AntiSpam: No

Re: Formula Libre change of class name

Post by Challenger392 »

3rdgendennis wrote:I think Unprepared should be renamed Stock rather than Street

My only thought with calling former Unprepared, Stock is that we will run into the same prblem we did with FL. Someone outside the club trying to enter a Stockcar in our stock car class. To me Street works or even Street Stock could be used to make it perfectly clear.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
Mopar 151w2
AntiSpam: No

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Mant moons ago, I was the tech man for the shady sideshow of "Stock Car Racing" that operated at Bryar Motorsports Park. Basically, the term "Stock" has so many definitions and modifiers, and so many pitfalls in enforcement, that pit road lawyers everywhere perk up when they hear it - and guys like me cringe :evil: :roll:
"Unprepared" has worked fairly well for us, for the last 40+ years - I don't beleive it's the part of this that needs fixing.

And while I'm ranting - I see little need for bring our classes into "alignment" with other orginisations, who are behind us in dealing with many of the issues involved, and not doing all that hot with a bunch of others - you know how many classes in SCCA will kick you out for having too good a rollcage?
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Renaming Unprepared to Stock would mean you also have to rename Street Prepared since they would both start with S.

I'm with John. I don't see any reason to change U and S class names. No they are not perfect but no name will be perfect and it isn't worth the hassle of changing it. I don't think it will pass anyway.

In fact I hardly see a reason to change Formula Libre. I could live with it staying the same. I only want to change it because these days everyone assumes it means something it doesn't and I think a name like Open would be less confusing. But in the big picture it's minor.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

After reading this thread again I don't think I'm going to propose a change. There just isn't enough consensus on the issue. I'm pretty much opposed to renaming all the classes. Yes the current names aren't perfect but neither is anything else. I really don't like Unlimited because it starts with U and that would require renaming the Unprepared class.

Keeping FL isn't a real problem. I might think about submitting wording for the class that makes it clear that it is no longer a Formula car class. But more of a open class in the traditional meaning of a Formula Libre class.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Here is the text I am thinking of proposing for Formula Libre.
FORMULA LIBRE – Any car legal for any NEHA class may bump to Formula Libre at the entrant’s request. In addition cars not legal for Prepared because of engine displacement or tech rules 2.BB.1 and 5.FF.1 are legal in Formula Libre. Cars without a roll cage are still subject to breakout rules.
The current text is:
FORMULA LIBRE – Prepared and Formula/SportsRacing cars not otherwise legal for Formula II or Prepared 1. Any car legal for any NEHA class (not just prepared) may bump to Formula Libre at the entrant’s request.