Help determining class

Discussion related to classification of cars in the NEHA series.

Help determining class

Postby RacingFrog » Wed May 14, 2014 1:00 am

Hi,

We are planning on coming to Okemo with 2 cars:
- a completely stock Audi A4 2.0T Quattro (driven by the princess)
- a Corvette C5 Z06 (driven by Le frog) with full cage, racing seats, removeable steering wheel, coilovers and sway bars.

What class would the Audi be in?
Would the Vette still be eligible for SP? Also can we run full slicks in SP or is that an automatic bump in FL?

Also as a side note for the webmaster, the link for Okemo I in the schedule points to the Burke pagem and the Burke I link points to Okemo.

Thanks in advance for the help
Emmanuel aka Le Frog
--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
User avatar
RacingFrog
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:00 am
Location: Huntington, MA

Re: Help determining class

Postby walterclark » Wed May 14, 2014 6:54 am

Welcome back!

There is a class determination spreadsheet at: http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hillclimb_rules/14worksheet.xls It is best for you to use that to determine a car class within U and SP. A number of factors you didnt mention weigh into the determination. If you want to get opinions as to whether your results seem reasonable or you dont understand something then please ask.

Be sure to check the technical regs at: http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hillclimb_rules/14tech.pdf for things a car needs to have and that may be eliminated for SP, as well as what safety things we require in the car and on the driver. It has been amended over the last couple years. Reviewing it may save you chasing down hard to find (in Ludlow, Vt on a weekend) items on Friday night or Saturday morning.

Non-DOT tires will automatically move a car to one of the Prepared class. There are "DOT" tires like the Hoosier A6 that are for all intents is a racing slick but because of the DOT label is legal in SP. Otherwise, nothing you mentioned about the Z06 would take you out of Street Prepared or force you into FL. If you run Prepared the normally aspirated 5.7 engine would put you in P1.
The older I get the better I was.
User avatar
walterclark
 
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:57 pm
Location: Dover, MA.

Re: Help determining class

Postby RacingFrog » Wed May 14, 2014 9:59 am

walterclark wrote:There is a class determination spreadsheet at: http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hillclimb_rules/14worksheet.xls It is best for you to use that to determine a car class within U and SP. A number of factors you didnt mention weigh into the determination. If you want to get opinions as to whether your results seem reasonable or you dont understand something then please ask.


I used the spreadsheet, the Audi is 3428lbs for 1984cc. It's AWD, Turbo and DOHC 16v. I am not sure what the quantity is supposed to be for 'More than 2 valves per cylinder'. Is it 4 or just the 2 extra? Also if you have more than 2 valves per cylinder you are likely to have more than 1 camshaft per bank, it looks like a double penalty. Without the valve/cam info, it lands in U5, with valve/cam (whatever the values) it looks like it's going to be U3.

For the Vette, I don't know the exact weight now with the cage. But I hope to get the car corner balanced before the race and have the exact info.
If I use my street tire setup, Vettes come stock with a staggered setup 255/40ZR17 front, 285/35R18 rear. What am I supposed to use in the wheel size. By the way, is it just rim size or tire size? Do we have to add diameter+width?

walterclark wrote:Be sure to check the technical regs at: http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hillclimb_rules/14tech.pdf for things a car needs to have and that may be eliminated for SP, as well as what safety things we require in the car and on the driver. It has been amended over the last couple years. Reviewing it may save you chasing down hard to find (in Ludlow, Vt on a weekend) items on Friday night or Saturday morning.


If I didn't miss anything, in Unprepared, just the helmet and fire extinguisher are required.
For the Vette, extras will be Hans, kill switch, cage padding, window net, nomex racing suit/gloves/baclava/shoes, harnesses in date. Am I missing anything? Are you checking dates on seats (it's a Sparco Evo 2 US, FIA sticker)?


walterclark wrote:Non-DOT tires will automatically move a car to one of the Prepared class. There are "DOT" tires like the Hoosier A6 that are for all intents is a racing slick but because of the DOT label is legal in SP. Otherwise, nothing you mentioned about the Z06 would take you out of Street Prepared or force you into FL. If you run Prepared the normally aspirated 5.7 engine would put you in P1.


I have Continental slicks from the World Challenge series and Pirelli slicks as well. They are not DOT legal. Can I run these tires?
If it is wet I have Nitto NT05s that are street legal.

Thanks again for the help
Emmanuel
--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
User avatar
RacingFrog
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:00 am
Location: Huntington, MA

Re: Help determining class

Postby drummingpariah » Wed May 14, 2014 12:02 pm

RacingFrog wrote:I used the spreadsheet, the Audi is 3428lbs for 1984cc. It's AWD, Turbo and DOHC 16v. I am not sure what the quantity is supposed to be for 'More than 2 valves per cylinder'. Is it 4 or just the 2 extra? Also if you have more than 2 valves per cylinder you are likely to have more than 1 camshaft per bank, it looks like a double penalty. Without the valve/cam info, it lands in U5, with valve/cam (whatever the values) it looks like it's going to be U3.


Just the two extra. Some engines, like the Honda D-series are 4valve SOHC, so they aren't necessarily linked in every instance. It's a two-part penalty, not a double penalty.

RacingFrog wrote:For the Vette, I don't know the exact weight now with the cage. But I hope to get the car corner balanced before the race and have the exact info.
If I use my street tire setup, Vettes come stock with a staggered setup 255/40ZR17 front, 285/35R18 rear. What am I supposed to use in the wheel size. By the way, is it just rim size or tire size? Do we have to add diameter+width?


Just the wheel size, tire size is free. You're entering the combined diameter and width difference from stock. That is to say that if your car came with 17x7 wheels and you upgrade to 18x9.5 wheels, you would enter 3.5 in the wheel size cell. I'm not sure how you'd handle staggered setups, but I imagine you'd just average the two (correct me if I'm wrong).

RacingFrog wrote:If I didn't miss anything, in Unprepared, just the helmet and fire extinguisher are required.


As long as you're over the breakout time, that's accurate. It should go without saying, but wearing nylon is a bad idea too.

I'm only addressing the questions I know the answers to, I'm not familiar enough with the rules to answer them all.
User avatar
drummingpariah
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Manchester, NH


Return to Classification

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron

x