REMOVABLE STEERING WHEEL IN UNPREPARED

Discussion related to classification of cars in the NEHA series.
honda#72
AntiSpam: No

REMOVABLE STEERING WHEEL IN UNPREPARED

Post by honda#72 »

I was reading the class rules and it states that interior items may be altered but not removed for safety. I am currently putting a cage in the S2000 and it is becoming clear that there will be no way for me to enter or exit the vehicle with the factory fixed steering wheel. I would much rather keep the factory wheel for a number of reasons, cost, oem quality and perfect size, but it is simply not an option. This topic will not be a issue this year, if I want to race this year I will not have time to put all the interior back in this season, so I expect I will run in SP. However, next year when I put the car back to stock , with only the addition of the cage, seat and wheel, will the wheel keep me out of Unpreparred? I think the safety issue of being able to exit the vehicle should override any weight advantages of an aftermarket wheel. As such there is going to the addition of 140lbs of safety equipment (the cage). My question is, would going to a removable wheel be considered "altering" , which is ok ?
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
Mopar 151

Re: REMOVABLE STEERING WHEEL IN UNPREPARED

Post by Mopar 151 »

I would certainly support a removable wheel as an item of safety equipment - and it has been out policy for decades (!) that we in no way penalize safety equipment.

Drew just put one of these
Imagehttp://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60724/10002/-1

In the "Junkyard Dog" Camaro. Fits correctly on the (stock) Saginaw column, and a 5-bolt aftermarket wheel mounts directly. Only thing is, ya gotta put a horn button somewhere else.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

Thanks for the clarification about no penalty for safety items, it makes sense not to penalize them. As for the hub , I plan on using a Sparco Touring weld on hub that will be TIG welded to the column, with a six bolt pattern to the wheel for less sloppyness as oppossed to the three bolt to wheel pattern.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

The only item that I can offer to this discussion is that the unprepared class assumes stock safety equipment for the driver. By swapping out the steering wheel, you are removing the airbag. I do not believe that there is anything in the rules about removal of safety equipment at this time, but who knows what the future holds. Removing one component (steering wheel or seat) could prevent the rest of the system from working (my assumption).
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

There is a way to let the rest of the system continue to work as designed. A 2 ohm resistor , or the Honda SRS Inflator simulator, part # 07SAZTB4011A can be used. Connected to the SADH and SADC 2 ohm input to the SRS control unit pins # 1 and 13. This will let the rest of the system operate as designed. Where there is a will , and a little knowledge there is a way. Or I could carry a t30 torx and 19 mm socket and bolt and unbolt the wheel every time I get in and out with the stock wheel and air bag. However, I like the first option better, just seems like I could get out of the car quicker.
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Apparently my earlier reply was lost... Anyway, we have had numerous competitors with missing airbags, in cars originally equipped.
:ugeek: From a personal point of view, the last thing I want to happen in a crash when I am properly restrained is a bomb going off in my face. :mrgreen:
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

And as John has pointed out in the past-an air bag is good for 1 impact + one impact only-so if you promise to only hit 1 tree and carry on no further-all is well-but if you insist on bouncing of multible trees/rocks/ledges, its just a deflated bag in your way.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

You had me at your first reply John, seems totally logical. Both you and Sherm make a good argument for removing or even just disabling the system as , many other bodies do require, even on stock vehicles. I would not want an exploding , hot bag in my face and field of vison, and between me and the steering wheel in a long, multiple impact , drawn out crash. :o
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Airbags have also been known to go off for things that don't even cause our drivers to lift.

I once watched Uriah miss the exit of the corner at finish. He hit a ditch, then hit a ledge. He somehow magically bounced over the ledge which put him back in the ditch. The car almost became stuck in the ditch but with rooster tails of dirt shooting out it found enough traction to get back onto the road. If he had an airbag it probably would have gone off when he hit the ditch the first time.

Uriah never lifted though the whole thing and by some miracle the car escaped undamaged. (I on the other hand gently slide off a very slow corner and do a $1000 of damage :lol: )