Classing my car

Discussion related to classification of cars in the NEHA series.
haggett3
AntiSpam: No

Classing my car

Post by haggett3 »

I have talked to people about this subject at the Speedway Expo but I have come to another issue. I have a WRX with full header back exaust and a cold air intake. after looking the car over to prep for the season of hillclimb I noticed I need new struts and spings. It will cost me about $1000.00 for factory parts but I can get aftermarket parts (full adjustable struts and springs) for $400.00-$700.00 depending on the level of adjustments. I am really on a budget and don't want to put a cage in the car(wife and kids issue) by adding these struts to my car will I end up having to put a cage in my car. or will I just have to keep my car below the brake out time for SP.
RALLY200SX

Re: Classing my car

Post by RALLY200SX »

I am VERY new here :mrgreen: so I could be incorrect but I think your car would be classed as Street Prepared from there you will need to figure what adjustments to the displacement for variations from the norm will be: http://hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hillcli ... ksheet.pdf once you have determined those figures it will put you within one of these classes.

STREET PREPARED CLASSES

Street Prepared 1 - 1.500 and above cc/lb

Street Prepared 3 - Less than 1.500 cc/lb

Street Prepared 5 - Less than 1.060 cc/lb

Street Prepared 6 - Less than .900 cc/lb

(Street Prepared classes 2 & 4 are for 2WD vehicles)
#16 1987 Mazda RX7
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

In a nutshell, regardless if you are in Unprepared or Street Prepared, you are limited (without a cage) based on the breakout time. So, show up, drive, have fun... your car will be in a class just like all the other cars like yours (based on engine side, weight, modifications).
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
haggett3

Post by haggett3 »

thanks for the Help I guess I will just show up. I really am looking forward to running this year everyone I have talked to and have met from eather the nrescca or the hilclimb group are great and very friendly can't wait to meet you all and beat on my car a little.
skivittlerjimb

Post by skivittlerjimb »

I'm still a hillclimb newbie, too (only 3 events under my belt) but my brief experience may be of benefit to you. I have an uncaged car (to be caged some day, when the planets line up right) and ran in SP2 last year and will run in the newly created SP3 this year. At Ascutney and Okemo unless you're a serious hotshoe and/or have nads of steel or the ability to memorize the hill on your first run up, staying above breakout time shouldn't be too much of an issue. Philo is another story. I think because it is so short, it's relatively easy to memorize the hill and go faster within a short stretch of runs so that you're quickly crowding the 1:20 breakout time. I broke out there in 2007 and unfortunately can't drive my car there again until it's caged. I can't speak to Burke as I haven't driven that hill yet.

As Steve says, show up, drive within your limits, have fun, enjoy the company, and learn a lot. It's a great group of people, friendly and competitive at the same time and welcoming of new comers, IMO. Just make sure your suspension and brakes are 100% sound and nothing is leaking or loose and you should be good. If you like your WRX as a daily driver, and you get the hillclimb bug, you may find yourself in a the market for a car like this pretty soon so you don't have to cage your baby.
-Jim B.
'92 GVR4 280/1000
hondasi

Post by hondasi »

I'm not sure about some of the car classing rules. More than 2 valves per cylinders is +10% each. What is the each? I have 4 valves per cylinder, what adjustment factor do I use?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

hondasi wrote:I'm not sure about some of the car classing rules. More than 2 valves per cylinders is +10% each. What is the each? I have 4 valves per cylinder, what adjustment factor do I use?
That would be 20% 4 (valves) - 2 (free) = 2 2 X 10% = 20%
The older I get the better I was.
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

When did the "each" get added? The way I see it now a 16 valve 4 cyl would be +40% and a 32 valve V8 would be +80%. I think that is a little excessive. What did I miss along the way?
Brian
Number_5

Post by Number_5 »

I'm starting to like this rule!! Now lets see, my rotary has 6 combustion chambers per rev times 2 valves if it had them.
2 x 6 = 120% from 1300 cc
I'm in P?
John M
Are you listening Josh?
This should give you an advantage even if if you won't need it!!
A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings.
Albert
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I am not sure how much of the last couple replies is humor so...

Its been there since at least 2004.

"More than 2 valves per cylinder" "10% each" Note the italicized words. The 2 valves and each both refer to per cylinder.
Last edited by walterclark on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the better I was.