Displacement factors

Discussion related to classification of cars in the NEHA series.
sdwarf36

Re: Displacement factors

Post by sdwarf36 »

KevinGale wrote:
honda#72 wrote:.. and increased number of shifts. ...Chris
How many times do you have to shift at Ascutney? I'm kinda on the opposite plan. I found out I can run under 3 mins shifting just once. But when I really worked at it and shifted twice I got a bit faster. :lol:
Sheeet-I'm up two and down one-- by the 1st turn. :P
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

1-2-3 down to 2 by corner 1. Thinking about 5th in the long straight (tree of fear); 4th seemed to be enough for me. It is a 6-speed.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

KevinGale wrote:
honda#72 wrote:.. and increased number of shifts. ...Chris
How many times do you have to shift at Ascutney? I'm kinda on the opposite plan. I found out I can run under 3 mins shifting just once. But when I really worked at it and shifted twice I got a bit faster. :lol:
Well, Kevin, at Ascutney I was mostly between 2 and 3 gear in most spots. I found I could run up to turn 13 in third , however if I went down to second for turns 7 and 9 I could use more slip angle with more throttle and pull through those turns faster and with the wheel spin the revs were nice and high for the shift into 3rd. I would like to be in 4th by the tree of fear. At turn 16 I was almost at redline in second and would like to carry 3rd through there, the same goes for turn 29 to finish. I used 4th at Okemo and would like to be in 5th on the long straight. There were sections at Burke, where in this car I either had to hold a gear for a second or two, or shift, accelerate for a second then shift back down. I saved my old gears, and plan on buying another diff and another gear set in a middle range. I will run all the hills and find what works best. I talked to Bill Hudson trying to get some rear drive tips, he said he lowered his ratio and went faster as a result of less shifts, but with my street bike like motor that is not a option as you guys have WAY more torque. Maybe Santa will bring me a dogbox for Christmas this year to help me with my increased # of shifts. Within the week I would like to have the car together and have the old lady go side by side with me in my stock S2000 street car in the same gear to compare the gearing 4.1-1 vs 4.8-1. and see what the revs are in each car at the same speed and the acceleration.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Maybe Santa will bring me a dogbox for Christmas this year
Truck/trailer > faster car
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:
Maybe Santa will bring me a dogbox for Christmas this year
Truck/trailer > faster car
Wouldn't the truck and trailer weigh the car down? Killing my power to weight ratio. :D No, I know, like I said it's in the works just haven't had the time to fix the truck.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

honda#72 wrote:...you guys have WAY more torque...
Lol, I know! John Reed and I even built this motor for torque (or as I like to say low end power). The software simulation says I've got 400 ft/lbs available at 2000 rpm and it just goes up from there. That is exactly what I wanted. If i'm going to lug a big 381 cu motor up the hill I can at least enjoy some torque. The fact that the car weighs less than 2300 lbs with me in it also helps a lot!

I've experienced the same thing as Bill. Running a bit taller gear seems to be faster for me. In my case I'm sure part of it is concentrating on the line and not worrying about the gear. Another part is managing traction. For a lot of corners going down to second would in theory be faster but if I just breath too hard on the throttle I'll break the tires free and then I'm going slower.
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

Geez 381 ci with 400 lb ft at 2,000 rpm pulling 2300 lbs, man :shock: . I have 121 ci with 153 lb ft at 7,500 rpm pulling 2800 lbs. Torque is not my strong point as you can see.