Newbie questions

Discussion related to classification of cars in the NEHA series.
sachilles

Re: Newbie questions

Post by sachilles »

Robbie S has a prepared mk2 right?

Then there are the sciroccos (sp?),

Steve(rabbit farmer) has an ever evolving fleet of VW's of every generation and body style, yet occasionally races a Daewoo. However is racing suit is red(I think). By the way Eric you will not need a suit unless you break out and need a cage.
John traded in his mk3 for mk1.
Anyone beside Steve have a mk4? I think Justin Carven is building one or has already done so.

Anyways.......Eric you'll have fun. Take safety seriously, and don't try to prove how fast you are, and you'll be in good shape.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
eperot
AntiSpam: No

Post by eperot »

Take safety seriously, and don't try to prove how fast you are, and you'll be in good shape.
That's exactly my plan. The last thing I want is to end up like that Chevy s10 Blazer I've seen on youtube go off the road just above malfunction junction (mountain road and jackson gore trail crossing). I just want to take a couple nice corners like around Sel's Choice and have a good time legally with no worry of getting ticketed or hitting someone else like the boy racers around here. I know I'd be last in class but really don't care. I really like that everyone here is so chill about it and competition seems to be against only yourself...and no laughing at people who may be slower but just out to enjoy a weekend.

This is what I'll be in...old trusty. Had it for 14 years now...278K miles and still a great car.

My brother however would be a bit faster with his Merc C32 AMG. Still, he's a safe driver with 2 kids to think about. ;)

I guess I'd double the Mk2 showing. I love seeing all those rabbits.
Eric
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Nice!

I am stripping one just like that - except sporting bad paint, significant rust and missing the head from its 9A. Donated to me by my local VW/Audi independent garage, after I lost a bet with an off-camber turn and was introduced to its close friends and neighbors - big rocks - at the Mt Washington hillclimb.

I think there are a couple other Mk2's active including Rob's P4 and Tom Greer's S2 (Supercharged VR6).
Last edited by walterclark on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the better I was.
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

And if the bug bites you hard, there are a couple smokin' deals on Mk 1's in the For Sale section ;)
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

you'll have a great time in that mk2. Believe me, no one cares what you drive or how fast you go. I raced for a couple years with a 1.6 turbo diesel, after encouragement from Steve and others. Was it slow, yes...did I learn something; I like to think so...would I do it again...of course! I started exactly as you are...took my summer daily to the hills. Now a few years later, it's still a summer daily...but has a cage, different engine, and a lot of changes. I definitely still feel like a rookie, but I'm learning, and meeting a lot of great people. Just beware...it's extremely addictive.
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

As Jason said... just show up and have fun. Don't worry about going slow... we used to have a mini van that raced with us. Everyone has fun as long as you make it to the top (no introductions to mother nature on the way up the hill nor fluid leaks on the course). I had one of the slowest cars at Philo 2011 (there was only one car slower than us, but it was her first hillclimb ever). I normally drive a pretty quick car (my 1.8T Golf) so it was a huge step down in performance, but I still had a great time.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com